strange offset

Check out my latest postings on Offset Issues and you will find, as I have, that this is still an issue even with VW2008. You will notice that I even asked the question of Katie directly about it working correctly in VW2008 and you don't get any answer, just a 'check with Tech Support' reply. You would think as the Lead Trainer at NNA she would just verify it and answer.

I wonder how she answers the question when it comes up at a training session.

To answer your question, anyone running VW has this issue.

Good Luck,

Tom,

If you are seeing it in the second revision of SP 2 (VW 2008), please be sure to contact Tech Support. They can search where the issue is in the issue database and track down an engineer.

Your accusations about me directly are not welcome and will not be tolerated. If you want to have a professional discussion, I will be happy to engage. However, blatant comments about me, my knowledge, experience, or what I do or don't do as my job is not appropriate, nor professional.

So it's a known problem, but can I do something about it?

I went and try offsetting the same figure in VW11.5 and VW12.5.

in VW11.5 there are no problems.

What I think it might be is that there are too many vertexes that define the polyline. But I can't see to find some command or tool that reduces the number of vertexes and leaving the end result as it is.

The Smoothing command under Modify will smooth (and reduce) vertices in a polyline. However, you may end up with too many vertices removed, so you may want to do this manually with the reshape tool.

Tom,

If you are seeing it in the second revision of SP 2 (VW 2008), please be sure to contact Tech Support. They can search where the issue is in the issue database and track down an engineer.

Your accusations about me directly are not welcome and will not be tolerated. If you want to have a professional discussion, I will be happy to engage. However, blatant comments about me, my knowledge, experience, or what I do or don't do as my job is not appropriate, nor professional.

Katie,

At the risk of offending, I think you are completely overreacting to Tom's post.

I do not see where he made any accusations about you. He stated that you directed him to tech support rather than verify whether or not the issue in question had been fixed in VW 2008. Reading the post ( http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=95047&Searchpage=1&Main=20286&Words=+tgm&topic=0&Search=true#Post95047 ) verifies that this is true. It also points out that Tom is frustrated by having to scrap $5K worth of product due to an error that he traced to a VW bug. I can certainly understand his feelings.

NNA representatives on this board are asking users to submit bug reports and suggestions. It appears from jbrhwy's post in the same thread, that he has reported this bug numerous times over a span of years and numerous versions. However, according to him it still isn't fixed. Why?

If a bug that produces invisible errors is found and reported, NNA OWES IT TO ITS PAYING CUSTOMERS to repair the problem as quickly as possible. Users have to have a certain amount of trust that the program is doing what it is supposed to. If we have to check each operation for accuracy, we may as well go back to pencil and paper.

All the bells and whistles of a new version mean nothing if the core functions are compromised.

I'd also point out that in Tom's posts and in his signature, he appears to be using a combination of VW 11.5 and 12.5, so your inquiry about SP2 (VW 2008) is pointless. Perhaps he'd upgrade if he knew if the issue had been fixed. Is it his responsibility to report back to us here after contacting tech support? Or must we all individually contact tech support to find out if this issue has been repaired in VW2008?

I can understand the need to monitor this board for content and etiquette. But, in light of the abuse that has been meted out by some forum members over the years, Tom's language pales in comparison. This board unquestionably belongs to NNA, but those who post here feel a certain amount of ownership. When the board begins to be monitored for the tone of the question or statement, rather than the content, it smacks of totalitarianism and puts a pall on the whole experience.

If NNA wants it's customers to be partners in the development process, that's great.

But, it shouldn't forget that we are still all paying customers who deserve as much respect as the folks at NNA. Paying for the program also entitles us (IMHO) to voice our frustrations over the things that do not work when they have been buglisted for years.

End of rant.

Katie,

If I have offended anyones ego, I sincerely apologize.

What are you refering to as 'blatant comments and/or accusations in my post? I simply stated the fact that I cannot get a simple answer to a simple question, does it work or not? Surely it would only take less than a minute to verify using the example in my first of this thread.

Regards,

boxjoint-

The posts here by Tom in one of many attacks made over the past few months. Despite my attempts to direct Tom towards Tech Support, he continues to post here, taking stabs at me.

Disrespecting an NNA employee on this forum is simply not acceptable.

From Tom's posts, you may also notice he's tried it in VW 2008 and still has the problem - hence my comment about SP2.

Edited by Katie

Tom,

It's not my ego you've offended. It's the continued posts here made directly towards me taking stabs at what I say/do and your assumptions of what I do. The behavior is simply not professional. Unprofessional and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.

If you have continued questions or concerns, I'll be happy to continue this discussion via email or over the phone.

Not to worry.

I will NEVER post another comment to this forum, nor recommend use of VW to anyone after this fiasco. As far as our use of the product after this expensive incident, which BTW cost me $5K to learn of this problem, we will be limiting its use to drawing 'pretty' pictures, no more.

'Attacks..........stabs..", give me a break. Most of the forum members are business professionals trying to use the product in their everyday business scenarios. Problems such as this only cost us money, out of our pocket, not yours.

Over and out..........for good!