Automatically update titleblock symbol after edit?

I'm using a custom titleblock inserted onto a sheet layer with a border. When I edit the titleblock symbol via the resource manager, it doesn't update in the drawing unless I double click on each to edit issue manager info and then click OK without making any changes.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to update the symbol automatically?

Thanks.

Are you speaking about editing the layout or editing the content?

To modify the specific content for my title blocks I find faster to navigate and read the popup editor that comes after double-clicking the border or title block. This way I don't always need to keep the Info palette open either.

I'm really talking about the layout. I'm not having any trouble editing the "dynamic" content by double clicking or using the Issue Manager.

The problem is when I change something that is not dynamic. As an example, I have a copyright date on my titleblock. In the Resource Browser, I right clicked on the titleblock and selected Edit. I changed the copyright date and exited symbol edit mode. I expected the titleblocks that I had already placed in the drawing to show the change that I just made but they did not. If I double-clicked on a titleblock, which opened the Edit Titleblock dialog box, and clicked OK without making any changes, THEN the titleblock would update.

Why doesn't the titleblock update after edit like any other symbol?

I understand your question now and I am not an expert on this sort of thing. I tried the steps you listed and was able to reproduce the same type of behavior. Perhaps it is a bug or perhaps it is due to the fact (at least in my case) that the title block is tied to another 'intelligent' element - the drawing border.

However, after reading your example, I would like to offer a lateral approach. Are you aware that you can specify both project and sheet content in the title blocks? The copyright date sounds like something you want to be able to change on project basis (although I know that you might also just want the year 2008 symbol). In my title blocks I have a lot of data that is Project specific and other data that is Sheet specific. If you've not done this before: any fields you create in the Title Block Record with the prefix "P_" are go to the project tab, "S_" to Sheet and there is a third division I don't use and therefore forgot.

On the flip side, I can still see the original behavior of not updating after editing the symbol frustrating. Put what clues me in to the object's uniqueness is that trying to right-click and edit on the titleblock when work on the drawing opens the data window and not the symbol.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Why doesn't the titleblock update after edit like any other symbol?

It doesn't update becasue the title block is not really a symbol. The drawing border object uses the geometry in the title block symbol to draw its own copy rather than just inserting a copy of the symbol.

This is also the reason that you can't use different fonts in a title block. It gets that there is text there, but uses teh font it wants, rather than what is specified in the tilte block symbol.

Pat

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is a script in the VectorScript Resources area called "update all plug-in objects of selected type" that will let you update all you drawing borders at once. Just select a single drawing border, run the script, and all will update. Use this after you change your TB symbol.

Sig, thanks for the recommendation to put the copyright date in as a "Project" element and change it that way. I actually tried that but wasn't able to insert the copyright symbol this way. I considered putting the copyright symbol in the titleblock and the date in as a Project element but didn't for fear of alignment issues (and lack of time.) I'm still getting things set up (only been on VW for 6 months) so I have had to change other things on the fly too so I'd really like an easier solution for this problem.

Pat, I get that this behavior is a result of the titleblock being tied to the drawing border but I HAVE different fonts in my titleblock and they seem to work just fine.

Robert, thanks for the tip. I'll look for that VS.