Autocad cannot print .dwg exported files

lunchtray

Question

I've tried exporting single sheet/view from v12.5 to autocad users (two completely separate parties).

Both can open the files, but crash autocad (AC 2007/XP professional SP2) when trying to print (either hard, or as .pdf)

I've reimported the files into VW, and aside from some colour changes they open and print fine so my line is that the problem is with them.

(which will not wash for long)

any ideas?

9 answers to this question

I know this post is a little old but has this problem been sorted? I am working on a large landscape project and have to send .dwg files to the architects, project managers, landscape contractors, lighting contractors (the list goes on) and they are all using AutoCAD. My drawings started with a .dwg from the architect and I added all the landscape information, using layers and what now amount to about 20 sheet presentations. I have exported the file and this has been sent off but whilst it can be opened it will not print or create .pdf's. I am always concerned about having my 'live' drawings out there but it is a bit embarrassing when they ring me up and say they cant print - some say that after a while their .dwg crashes. I have tried exporting as different versions and they are all the same. I have tried 'not' exporting hatches, etc with similar results. Any ideas? My print settings are to an HP printer.

Thanks

I do supply .pdf's and I would prefer to supply only the .pdf. However additional information such as lighting and irrigation needs to be added and they want the file to make this easier. I can understand this. There must be something within my file that is upsetting AutoCAD as it fails to print to paper or .pdf once converted. In fact in many cases they report that it crashes their system (although the file can be opened). I have one 'model space' drawing and then about 15 'paper space' or sheet presentations, 100 or so classes and about 10 layers. I think I have two alternatives, firstly to somehow flatten my drawing so that the contractors get just the model space 'image' so they can add their information as a new drawing or to simply supply my VW file and let them arrange the importation into AutoCAD. Can AutoCAD import a VW file?

All this seems a bit of a shame and I am concerned that my paymaster on this project will use an AutoCAD freelancer in the future to be compatible with the others on the project.

i know it sounds daft, but have you tried simply copying and pasting into a new drawing and seeing if that export works, its what i would do first of all to establish if the drawing itself is corrupt in some way.

i have found this to be the case when working on large landscape designs in my office, some how for some reason they become corrupt in some way, dont know why and probably never will, but copying and pasting tends to sort it for me

Well it sound like you are going to have to do smoe work on restructuring your file.

Autocad has LAYERS which are similar in function to VW Classes. It has nothing similar to VW Layers.

I think to get a reliable export, you are going to have to figure out how to combine all of your layers into one and use just classes.

You may find it easier to actually break down the file into the "15 or so" different files for each of the paper space layouts and send them a separate file for each one.

I've tried exporting single sheet/view from v12.5 to autocad users (two completely separate parties).

Both can open the files, but crash autocad (AC 2007/XP professional SP2) when trying to print (either hard, or as .pdf)

I've reimported the files into VW, and aside from some colour changes they open and print fine so my line is that the problem is with them.

(which will not wash for long)

any ideas?

Try dwg recover for repair .dwg files. The utility can't modify source data during restoration. The program starts under low system requirements and any system configuration. It has easy to use, intuitive interface is suitable for any experienced user.

One option - Could try using the Vectorworks viewer. For the Autocad users. This opens the VWX file, and they can generate their own pdf which can then be put into autoCAD.

One the export dwg options in 2012 allows for separate files for each layer. These can then be loaded separately by Xref command into autocad.

Are there any reference files/linked files in the Vectorworks file you are using to create the DWG?