Custom coutertop creation

I need a good process for creating custom shape countertops.

(particulary angled cabinet sections)

Creating base cabinets, with a 45 deg turn, and another 45 deg turn. I can get each cabinet in place as needed.

How to create a countertop to cover the entire corner?

No OIP options for that.

I create a 3d Polygon and extrude to thickness. Looks good 3D, but in top/plan view, the extruded solid (countertop) does not maintain the properties of standard countertop. The extruded solid is wireframe only.

What is the correct method for making custom shaped countertops that will display correctly in 2D plan and 3D?

H Whitehead

Texas

2 Mhz Core Duo, Sony laptop

VW 2008 Designer

You could try using a 'Floor' object instead of an extrude. This will have a 2D filled representation and its shape can be modified using Clip Surface and Add Surface. The downside to it is that textures can only be applied to the top surface. ie. the edges will not be textured.

Another option would be to create a hybrid symbol for your top. ie draw the 2D shape you need. Use Copy and Paste in Place to create a copy in the same location. Extrude this copy to create the 3D part. Select both the 2D and 3D parts and create a hybrid symbol. This will give you an object that has both the 2D representation you want and a 3D form. If you need to modify the shape you will need to edit both the 2D and 3D parts. With both parts having the same 2D shape though this can be simplified by editing the 2D part and then pasting a copy of this into the 2D underlying shape of the extrude. Delete the existing 2D shape after you have pasted in the new 2D shape, and make sure the new 2D shape is in the same relative location.

I'd use a 2D poly and extrude. Make sure upon your return to close the poly; the Object Info palette should display a "Closed" box bearing a check mark. Check it yourself if it isn't. Extrude. Give it a simple color fill. Set its elevation. This should work.

I have sometimes found that after I've assigned an object a simple fill color, then, when assigning a texture for more detailed renderings, the texture doesn't take. You can test this by going to the Render pane of the OIP, assigning a texture, and checking under Mapping (bottom of OIP). If you don't see your wood texture, go back and assign a slightly different fill color. This typically will cause the texture to become visible. Sometimes a couple of colors will need to be applied before the texture takes. I've found this behavior going back to V. 12.0 and up through V.2008.

If you don't want a 3D object on a Top/Plan view, duplicate it prior to extruding and then, while keeping the 2D form in place, send the countertop to a special layer created to hold misc. 3D objects whose line work would otherwise confuse your Top/Plan view which I assume you'd want to show as primarily a 2D layer.