Dimensioning of 3D objects?

bgz

For the "Dearly-Wish" List:

I dearly wish that I could simply design a 3D object in a design sheet, generate several viewports on a sheet with various 2D projections of my object, and then annotate the viewports with dimensions.

Unfortunately, VW doesn't "remember" that my object is composed of circles, or holes drilled in a pattern, etc., and so it is impossible to dimension them accordingly...

I usually end up carrying a bunch of extraneous 2D objects with my design just so I can do proper dimensioning. This is not a good solution....

-OR- I end up drawing all the projections in 2D myself, and then do a post-drawing 3D construction for an isometric view - hey wait, didn't I buy a 3D CAD tool?

Does anybody out there using VW Machine Design have a good solution or workflow for creating "standard" 3-projection machine drawings with dimensions from even the simplest of 3D parts?

Thanks,

bz

Unfortunately I'm using a similar workflow...

There isn't any other realistic way to do it - seems as though this is part and parcel of the 3d alignment problem discussed on other threads. There was a plug in once on vectordepot to change dimensions to 3d objects which at least lets one dimension a 3d drawing but that doesn't address the main problem.

All you can do is make sure that the relevant constraints are turned on - especially "multiple divisions" under "snap to distance" and "snap to edges" under "snap to object"

As to third angle projection - does "create multiple views" under the "Machine design" menu do the right sort of thing for you? I tend to use that plus drawing over the top with lines of zero width to get the extra snaps.

That 3d dimension tool is at http://www.vectordepot.com/plug-ins/

Cheers

Charlie