Installation of VW2008 SP1 with a proxy server

Jessica Hamilton

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to install service pack 1, and I get an error: An undetermined "socket error" has occurred attemprting to connect to the Internet.

Is there a way to specify the proxy server? Otherwise is there a standalone version of SP1 that can be installed in such situations?

Also, what port is it trying to communicate on? I'm assuming it's just web traffic on port 80 at the moment.

Thanks,

Jessica

I'm having probelms installing SP2 for VW2009, for a similar reason, we are behind a company firewall and proxy server. Do you have an updated script file to insert or IP addresses to register with our IT department, so VW can connect to the update server?

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

David Harvey

Hi,

Yes I have followed what I believe to be correct reading through the thread, but need confirmation of exactly what I need to tell our IT folk, since I don't maintain our firewall personally.

The error it shows is 'undetermined 'socket' error' before quitting.

The updater log file shows it to have found the VW proxy text file. It's set to Port 8080, with the IP address of our Proxy Server (10.1.1.1), using HTTP.

Any help appreciated.

Guest jkelly

Well an undetermined socket error sounds more like a firewall issue than a proxy issue, but it could very well be the settings just aren't set correctly for the proxy, and it's not hitting the right server/port.

My next step would be to contact IT and ask them what the settings should be. If they think the settings you have are correct, they are going to have to do some advanced troubleshooting to figure out what is going on, because something is interrupting the connection to the proxy server it seems.

Well I have confirmed that our proxy address (10.1.1.1) is correct, and the port is 8080.

/AutoUpdater.php?buildType=&language=eng&exceptValue=%28502%2C+%27Proxy+Error+%28+The+specified+Secure+Sockets+Layer+%28SSL%29+port+is+not+allowed.+ISA+Server+is+not+configured+to+allow+SSL+requests+from+this+port.+Most+Web+browsers+use+port+443+for+SSL+requests.++%29%27%29&base_build=1400_94894&exceptType=%3Cclass+%27socks.HTTPError%27%3E&serialNumber=B4XZCZ-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-B4FD42&updaterVersion=38&platform=Win+%285.1.2600%29&sessionID=0000-00-00+00%3A00%3A00&msgID=errMsg06&action=installerEvent&updaterMode=Update

I have pasted one line from the updater log - could you explain what this means, or what if anything I can report back to get the connection working? Something about SSL requests buried in there?

Guest jkelly

It looks like that error is coming from your ISA Server:

"The specified Secure Sockets Layer 'SSL' port is not allowed. ISA Server is not configured to allow SSL requests from this port. Most Web browsers use port 443 for SSL requests."

I'm not really sure what would be causing this. Have you talked to your Network Administrator about the error?