Can an object exist in two different classes?

peteb

Hi eveyone.

I am a new VW2008 user, I am completing my first lighting project using VW and enjoying it.

I have dropped a selection of moving and generic lights on to my plan. I assigned them to two design layers, one called 'generic' and the other 'movers'. I am not sure which class they initially went into, my suspicion is the default class 'none'. I have created two new classes called LX-intelligent' and 'LX-generic'.

I have selected the fixtures and in the 'object info' palette assigned them to these new classes.

My problem is that object appears to still be assigned to the 'none' class. In order to move the object i need to have both classes visible and class option set to 'Show/Snap/Modify Other'.

If I set the class options to 'Show/Snap Others'then I have to have the 'LX-intelligent' or 'LX-generic' active to select the object.

Please help

PeteB

Newly created objects are assigned to the active class and layer, which are shown in two boxes side by side in the data bar at the top of the screen. Objects pasted in are pasted onto the active layer, but they keep whatever class they had before. You can pull either box down and make a different class or layer active.

Those boxes always show the active class, regardless of whether any objects are selected. They don't show the class and layer of selected objects, as is the case with similar boxes in Sketchup and Autocad. The class and layer of selected objects can only be read in the Object Info palette.

Since you used hyphens in your class names, they'll appear in the pull-down list as if they were called "intelligent" and "generic" and as if they were in a folder called "LX."

Hi Pete B,

Classes are labels to an object, where Layers are containers the objects are placed into. Removing a layer would also remove the objects. Removing the class would in principle not remove the object (although VW 2008 has that possibility build in nowadays).

When there are more complex objects selected, like groups, symbols or plugins. You can have the situation where the Class (labels) on the outside of the object differ from the Classes attached to the rectangles and lines inside of the object.

It looks like this is what is happening to you at the moment.

The problem you are seeing is the result of the fact that the Class 'None' is actually a class.

Very annoying is the new "feature" that grouping objects always assigns the active class to the group. I'd rather have 'None' as the groups class, as the group may contain many differently classed objects.(See the P.S.)

IMHO Having 'None' always visible and using 'Show/Snap/Modify Others' is not bad. For the rest try to ignore 'None' as much as you can. Don't use the Class colours for 'None' (by all means, do use them for the other classes.)

Regards,

Gerard

P.S. Download this None Group command from my site and place it in your workspace. Assign it the key combination "Apple G" or "CTRL G":

http://www.orangedust.co.uk/NoneGroup.zip

Pete -

(Soap-box alert...)

There are two thing in your post that are reoccurring topics - both here and in occasional discussions:

1) Layers and Classes:

I strongly recommend you rethink the way you're using Design Layers and Classes. Having, for example, "Intelligent" and "Generic" Classes AND Design Layers will only serve to increase confusion - and the number of steps required as you create. Multiple Layers can be quite helpful if you're working on, let's say, multiple spaces in the same project (different floors for architects or different performance areas for entertainment lighting designers) but can also add an unneeded level of complexity. For example, let's say you're working on a corporate event in a convention center - and event that involves several rooms. You might separate your work across multiple drawing files, or you might simply create multiple Design Layers and organize your elements into multiple Classes within those Layers:

Design Layers:

Main Session Room

Overflow Room 1

Overflow Room 2

Breakout Room 1

Breakout Room 2

etc.

Classes:

Room-Room

Room-Softgoods

Staging-Stage

Staging-Scenery

Lighting-Flown-Conventional

Lighting-Flown-Intelligent

Lighting-Flown-Truss

Lighting-Ground-Conventional

Lighting-Ground-Intelligent

Lighting-Ground-Truss

etc.

This way, your Class structure for each Design Layer is the same - but with no "purpose overlap" between Classes and Design Layers. Also, within a given space, changing views is much easier than if you had "same-space" elements in multiple Design Layers.

I've also seen lighting designers use a similar approach for designs for repertory productions.

2) Multiple Classes in Groups and Symbols:

Assigning separate Classes to the "sub-components" of Groups and Symbols (which are, themselves, assigned to Classes) is extremely useful. For example, a piece of entertainment truss might be in a Class called "Flown-Truss." The truss might be comprised of "Simple" and "Complex" geometry - allowing you to display truss as a simple box or as a collection of the chords, gusset plates, lacing, and rigging guidelines.

I know I'll be publicly ridiculed by my brethren for my comments, but this is the way I've found things to work best for me...