walls...in general

I'm just curious how many people actually use the wall tool when modeling. It seems a bit wonky for me to use - i.e. the joinery isn't always correct and i have to toy with it for a while, or redraw walls in order to get it to work the way i want. Do you all tend to extrude rectangles or the like to make walls? Do you "subtract" for fenestration?

Thoughts? Advice for a student?

Hey Lineweight,(great name btw)

I am a big fan of the wall tool as a matter of fact I just drew up a set of plans of an existing SF CA victorian with threee radius walls and the wall tool made it easy. Once I have my walls the way that I want them I uasally LOCK them using the lock function found in the MODIFY menu.

I've only been using VW for a short time but I can't imagine NOT using the wall tool. The coordination with the door and window tools make it pretty easy to quickly draw a 2d plan that also happens to be a 3d model. The fact that you can link wall height to layer height and/or set wall heights with the PIO make it pretty easy to make quick models. I'll admit that the joinery could use some help but I still think that drawing with walls is better than trying to use lines or rectangles. I also think that wall joinery has gotten better with VW2008 SP2 (either that or I've just gotten more used to the tools.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

I spend a lot of time training people and notice that if you are getting used to drawing accurately, it can be easier to draw out your shape first using the polygon or polyline tool for accuracy. You can then convert to walls using the Modify/Convert/Objects from Polyline command. But personally, I love the wall tool and use it all the time.