Global Object Editing in 2008

willofmaine

I'm considering upgrading to 2008. In 12, I use the Info Editor plug-in extensively. Does anyone know if this works with 2008 and/or if the "Global Object Editing by Criteria" will accomplish the same thing? Can Global Object Editing be used to select all the symbols of a particular name, and then to change some or all of the records associated with those symbols?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks, Will

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can't say that "Custom Modification" will do everything that the Info Editor will do, but what it does is this:

1. Allow you to use the standard criteria editor interface to establish a 'filter' for objects you want to modify; and

2. For those objects, using the standard Object Properties dialog (e.g. the OIP), you can modify properties or attributes for the set of objects you defined in (1).

Thanks, Robert. Another question...

My experience with the standard criteria editor interface ("Custom Selection") is that changes can only be made to items on the active design layer. For example, ALL of the Space objects throughout a project can be selected, but only the ones on the active design layer can have, for instance, all of their perimeter polylines turned on or off simultaneously.

Is this true with "Custom Modification" as well, or can changes be made to all select objects throughout an entire project file, regardless of whether or not they are on the active design layer?

Thanks! -Will

It will make changes to objects on editable layers; the active layer, and visible layers if show/modify others is on.

It seems to work for the majority of edits in the OIP, but if you need to access the 'Settings' dialog to make your changes, they will only apply to the first object selected. This seems to apply to multiple selections as well.