ProE IGES transfer problems

I am trying to establish a flow of documents between my company's facility here in the US and a Chinese manufacturer. They use ProE and have successfully been able to import the IGES files I have exported from VW10 (trimmed solids, the untrimmed were unreadble). Unfortunately, the IGES files that they supply me are unreadable. I receive the following warning when attempting an import.

IGES import failed. The file may be empty or incomplete or it may be that the file is not an IGES file.

Suggestions?

-Joshua Cooper

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If these files are coming from PC - you need to open these up in BBEDIT (which you can doenload for free), open this file, chnage the line terminator type from DOS to MAC and save that. You should then be able to open these files.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Once you open the file in BBEdit, try File->Save As, there is an Options button in the dialog that is presented, press this button to see the Save options - one of the Save options is the Line Break - which can be changed from DOS to Macintosh.

I have a similar problem I just posted in another topic.

I exported using PC Designcad, when I changed the line break to Mac, it imports, but it's not even close to the same shape. It ended up looking like a cookie sheet with only two edges. I believe the person that originally designed the peice I'm trying to import needed to use scripting to get a proper parabolic shape. Maybe this is what messed it up? maybe vw10 can't import it properly? Any ideas?

Although, it got the shape right when I imported ad a dwg file, but it didn't stay as a 3-d object, just the wire frame in 2d.

anyone know another way to import and keep it in the correct shape AND 3D? Or maybe convert the exploded wireframe into a 3d object?

Eric

About the BBEdit solution. It works great. However, there is no longer a BBEdit lite (there used to be) and the download for free version is a limited demo (30 days). Is there another way to fix this problem? I don't need another text editor so $200 is a bit pricey for a "Save As" Command. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

HI,

I am currently trying to get an .iges file in to VW 9.5.3 and I have been unable to do so. After reading this thread about vectorworks 10 being able to do so I tried it on my friends Mac (they run VW 10.1.2 on OS X 10.2.6) I did the BBEdit procedure and all that happens is the program hangs when I try to import the file (I get the spinning beach ball of death). Any Ideas?