Inconsistency in creating tapered extrudes

I have extracted nurbs surfaces from a solid object and am attempting to extrude each surface to give it the thickness of the sheet metal that it will be fabricated from. The "Tapered Extrude" command from the Model menu returns an error "None of the selected objects are valid for tapered extrude" - but I've discovered that the Protrusion/Cutout tool can be used to give these surfs thickness. The resulting object is, according to the OIP, a tapered extrude.

I would like to see some changes to the interface that clue the user in on which tools/commands are viable with which types of geometry - perhaps sorting the commands under the "Model" menu by affect-able geometry. It would be even better if VW was smart enough to use whatever internal tools are necessary to "make it so, number one" without requiring the user to grok that "Extrude" only works on some kinds of geometry.

Also, it would be great to have the Protrusion/Cutout tool remember the user input (distance) between uses, like the Extrude tool does.

I'd put this in the Wishes section, but I want to see if I'm suffering from more training issues first.

ps Pre-picking doesn't work with the Protrusion/Cutout tool.

Edited by exocubic

Doh! On a whim, I tried out the "Shell Solid" tool - and it accomplishes what I want perfectly. BUT... these are surfaces, not solids, so no wonder I didn't bother trying before. This again points to a need for simplification - could any addition of z-dimension be handled by the same tool, regardless of the source geometry?

(NNA-have you people seen Spaceclaim yet?)

http://www.spaceclaim.com/