Multi-panel Patio Doors

Amy L

I?m going for a multi-panel (3 or 4) sliding glass door unit that pockets back onto itself allowing for a clear opening. For example, if I have a 3-panel 9? width, I?d like to have the entire 9? open, not 3? or 6? as allowed in the OIP under ?operation?-(OOX, XOX, XOO, OXO). What I really need is OOO. Same would hold true for a 12? slider with 4 panels?..OOOO. It just seems like it should be simple to do, or does this need to be wish-listed?

Amy,

Unless you have the WinDoor Plugin you will need to create the door in 3D solids and save as a symbol...just the panels and maybe the lower track.

Once you have the symbol create a cased opening with a .00001 jamb...place it in the wall and then place your symbol. If you create the symbol as a hybrid with a 2D graphic it will the the cased opening on plan.

Pete A.

Amy,

Using the WinDoor Plugin select the Pocket Simple Configuration on the General Tab. Then go to the Parts tab and on the first drop down box next to "Part:" select the leaf. Change the "Leaf Type:" to Glass. Then go do to "Vertical Bars" the 5th option and change that to 3 or 4. You can change the width of the bars in the last option on tab. I believe that will create a door like the one you've described.

Cas

Edited by Cas Stulberger

Also instead of creating a symbol from new 3D solids, I would probably duplicate the door symbol closest to what you want, modify it into a group, edit the group to how you want it to appear in plan or elevation and turn that into a new symbol-figuring out how to incorporate the pocket visually would probably be the challenge.

At least you would have nearly all the elements already created for you to work with.

For exterior pocket sliders, I use a sandwich of three walls, with a cased opening in the outer two corresponding to the opening width, and a cased opening in the center wall corresponding to the full assembly width and one or two "standard" sliders without jambs as the opereable doors, combined into a slider.

See attached pictures for plan view, just the slider symbol, and the whole rendered assembly.

-Chad