3d snapping

exocubic

Question

5 answers to this question

Sorry to tell mate but VW 2008 is bugged like hell in 3D.

That snap and the jump of a square or circle or any object to be extruded which you fit to a 3D snap point (when and if it will take) that occurs is also a nightmare and can create HAVOC in accuracy and dump a complete project to ashes.

It goes beyond my total line of thinking that a mid cost program have such low key and very poor 3D performance. The world is goiing to 3D and contractors request more 3D capability from engineers due to worse case artisans but VW still hang on the back line of it. Unbelievable.

PIO is a help and not the alpha and omega. I nearly do not use the PIO due too many mistakes that is still in it and make my own ACCURATE stuff. Hate something that is done and presented as finished and then it is a half baked loaf of bread. But need 3D for that - decent 3D capabilities.

Also the fact that we use different standards - for that you need CAPABLE & RELIABLE 3D tools.

3D is the power - we are slowly phasing out 3D - on electrical an a piping lay-out - yes but all the rest is becoming 3D.

In short - VW will have to go that line fast and good, or it will be too late. Currently there is low cost programs that have more 3D capabilities and accuracy - try for instance TurboCad Pro. But they have a bug that comes along for years in terms that it drops of the workplane that also nearly coste me a project due to inaccuracy but it worth tryinng in terms of the brilliant 3D capabilities for the cost of it.

Edited by clb

Being a 3D junkie ... let me state that I agree ...

however.. VW 3d is not all bad or that difficult .. it is rather just peculiar and somewhat fickle ... snapping requires patience and understanding .. and the mode the Tool is in at the moment. Luckily, VW provides various 3d modes which also include 2d hybrids. Understanding when to use 2d extrudes or NURBS or ExtrudeAlongPaths goes a long way to understanding when and if various constraints work as expected.

Attempting to use only one approach to 3d is foolhardy at best. The 3d procedures utilized must suit the anticipated result. As often as not there's a simple solution to an apparently complex problem.

We mustn't make the common mistake of judging VW capabilities based upon our own misconceptions and limitations.

NNA Engineers understand the importance of 3D integration and are actively working to refine it. CEO, Sean Flaherty, was right there with Richard Diehl working diligently 24/7 when Minicad made the leap from the limitations of pure 2d BluePrint into a 2d/3d CAD modeling app. It was at that time considered by all... to be a remarkable achievement.

Islandmon

I cannot agree more with you - VW have a basic 3D engine that is brilliant - so simple, so easy that it awesome. I love their 3D engine.

But I think also that you will agree that we need some basic upgrading - really - they are lagging to far already for catching up.

And yes - the human brain always want to look for the more difficult route before goiing down the simplicity lane.

And of course - you are right - look and analyse what you want to achieve before goiing any lane of design. Some of my designs are 2D - it also depends on the type of person/contractor you design for - is necessary to do the design 3D or not. Many issues have to figured out before goiing any route. But 3D works and it is a good lane.

I think the most and minimum will be the following little list;

1. I Beam tool with base plates and holes - Top & Bottom at least

2. Simple Assemble tool where you select faces/points and hit the assemble button

3.Keeping the subtracted / Intersected object as option

4.Piping Tool

5.Bending / unbending

6. Sheetmetal tool

What do you think ?

Yep - you right, I was an qualified artisan also before studying and if I look at the difference today and 25 years back, we have more likely only fitters these days that is called technicians than we have actual artisans. But be fair, times have dictated it, there is not anymore time to work out stuff or repair stuff as it is cheaper to fit and that is why 3D is so important.

Fitters works litterally from the 3D drawings when fitting as they can see clearer where, what, how and saves time in assembling parts/structures/HVAC on site. This is where VW gets the lower end - 3D on HVAC and piping needs a heck of a boost.

You ussually have the manufacturing team and then the site fitting team. And there is where the problem is - they misread the 2D on site and project start lagging behind schedule time.

By setting out on your dwg the 3D in Iso view and giving the parts in 2d view they immediate resemble the fit work. You cut on project time and it saves the client money.

Here they immediate ask before delivering tenders / quotes if there is 3D dwg's because they give a different cost on 2D as it take longer due to on site problems.

3D's just save overall project cost - end of the story.

And forget it - it is not only in the Mechanical side - also the Arch side and where you multiple stories with I beams involved. It is fast, it is reliable, it is a cost saver, and the job is done right the 1st time.

3D is here to stay and to get a larger portion of the market. Contractors just know it, they have tasted it and they want it - everyone wins, they have a larger profit margin and the client gets his projoct either faster or on time and it is right the first time.

It is whether VW goiing to sense it or not - and if they do not, somebody else will. Unfortunately will loyalty not be the determining factor if it is weighed against money to be made or lost in the real world of any type of building / manufacturing environment.

Edited by clb

On the civil engineering side as I have stated previously on this board: the infrastructure under a road is complex & getting more so with infrastructure renewal & additional telecommunication services. Underground utilities are not usually parallel to each other or to surface roadway features, at the same elevation, & usually cross over each other.

We all realize that tragedy that can occur if a mistake is made in locating an underground utility. From a public safety prospective a CAD program that could create 3D views that are functional & relatively easy to create would be a tremendous benefit for those involved in the design & construction of new or upgraded streets.

True

We had a difficult - small but difficult situation in a steep and tight housing development - dropped VW to do it on EasyCAD in 2D.

Just worked out on production output time and got it as we wanted - $ 3.2 Million worth contract on EasyCAD !