Hatching improvements

Andrew Coombes

Question

It would be really nice to be able to set the datum point to start the hatch pattern at the time we were hatching an object

AND

to be able to move this to another datum point on another object without the hatch pattern moving around.

I could then apply my brick hatching to my elevations and start the brickwork at the right place on each elevation!

7 answers to this question

I CAN'T BELEVE MORE PEOPLE HAVEN'T COMMENTED ON THIS!

The fact that we can't do this now seems like a HUGE oversight to me.

The lack of this ability means that one must resort to non-associative hatch for anything that requires a controllable starting point.

I would VERY MUCH like to see this ability added to VW.

Lack of comments is not an indication of lack of support for this...we're just tired of asking...

But, I missed this thread - YES PLEASE.

It's interesting how you actually get more control over Image Fill than hatches.

Hatches should be able to have a datum AND a rotation when applied. Current practice is to painfully duplicate each hatch for each rotation (involving a dodgy old script from VectorDepot, because you can't even rotate hatches in the Edit Hatch dialog) OR to use that useless tool from the menu Modify>Hatch, which doesn't create a hatch at all, but a group of lines.

VW hatches are currently woeful.

I can't believe it either. Not just the things Chris has mentioned, but hatches should be able to be applied with a Scale setting as well. And just lines? C'mon! Hatching needs to include patterns as well. Don't tell me about the tiling tool, it's horrible. We need the results of tiling, but achieved by using the Hatch tool so boundaries can be modified without having to re-tile.

And the hatching definition tool needs a complete overhaul. We really should be able to graphically define the components of a hatch, and specify an origin point, rather than having to clunk around with hit and miss.

Finally, we shouldn't need to have separate definitions for simple single line hatches and cross hatches, spacing and angle of the lines should be able to be defined on the fly.

My 2c.

Generating hatches from existing geometry has been mentioned a few times on the wishlists.

The workaround we use is this - make them in AutoCAD using the PatGen script, and import them back to Vectorworks. It's cumbersome though (oh, and you need a copy of AutoCAD). Not sure if there's an equivalent script written for Vectorworks anywhere.