Work Flow Question - Design Layer References

ASL

Back when using import referencing (in 12.5), I used to have a file for the structural grid and separate files each floor plan. To check alignment I had all floor plans referenced into the structural file and the respective floor plans above and below each 'active' floor referenced into the plans.

Now using Design Layer True Referencing (in VW 2008). I am, for instance, only able to reference my structural grid file into each floor plan, but then not able to reference any of said plans into the structural grid file, because I get the following error message: 'The selected file cannot be referenced, because that would cause a cycle of design layer viewport style references'. How are people approaching this issue from a Work Flow point of view??

Hi ASL,

Link down. Think of a diagram, with the Grid file in the top. Below that are the drawing files. A horizontal row of files, all pulling information from the top file.

Then, below that, a print file, that references the top file first and then all drafting files. This way you get a diamond shaped diagram, with all information flowing down.

The print file contains all data, but is never drawn in.

Gerard

Gerard,

I am curious, with the diamond diagram, are you using design layer referencing (VW Fundamentals) or design layer viewport (DLVP in VW Arch)? I am trying to do something similar. Starting out with consultants plans at top referencing down to our site plan, down to each building on the site plan then to a print file. Any input would be helpful, for I am not sure which referencing option would be best between design layer referencing, or DLVP?

Dssprat

One additional question. Is it possible to have circular referencing? For example, have a one file be the site plan referenced to two office building files, yet still have the main floor plan referenced to the site plan? That way you can have three people working on three separate files, and know when a change, like moving a wall 10' which affects the site plan.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Prior to VW2008 SP2, you could not have circular file references - you will get a message stating:

'The selected file cannot be referenced, because that would cause a cycle of design layer viewport style references'.

In VW2008 SP2, you can now have circular file references. However, you cannot have circular data references; if this happens, you will get a message notifying you of circular data.

Having said this, I am not sure that the setup you described above is circular. Furthermore, all this applies to DLVPs.