Wall styles 2009

Petri

Question

1. Basic 3D colours of "first" & "last" component by class or component colour (yes, I know I'm dreaming...)

2. Maximum allowed (certified) height field (dimension)

3a. Internal/external wall Boolean

3b. Outside/inside sequence

4. Firewall Boolean

5. Certification code field (text); while in most cases the manufacturers have a certificate for their product, there are also generic certifications in which case the field would indicate the compliance requirement.

6. Elevation hatch (yes, I know I'm dreaming again...)

In addition, each wall should have at least the Firewall Boolean as an option. At present, I'm processing the class name of each wall to find out whether it is a designated firewall, but this is "somewhat" error-prone as the user has to follow a syntax when creating classes. A toggle would also be easier than a class name.

Why do I do want these things? Well, in not-so-smart-sized projects (= non-McMansions, intensely despised by the top brass of NNA as Too Hard), fire compartments are often a major issue. While there is value in forcing users to classify (sic!) walls, in a BIM context this seems to be counter-productive.

If I'm not entirely wrong, an IFC wall is supposed to know whether it is a firewall. And when one surrounds a fire compartment with walls, they obviously should be marked as firewalls. And the compliance should be checked - even outside Singapore. And doors should assume fire ratings as stipulated by the local code. And so on and so on and scooby-dooby-doo.

In short: the foundation (easy-to-use wall styles) is good. Now, can we get actually smart walls or should that be left to the industry leaders?

Different CADs for different folks? Ohh, sha-sha!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet