strange behaviour of VW

I got some really strange problem with VW. At the moment where I put some objects and try to edit them (ie. doors, windows) it takes ages (read - 30-60 seconds) to do anything. And it slows down my work so much that it makes me furious. I tried restarting, running disk utility (Mac), installing VW again (although as far as I know it doesn;t help a lot with OS X). I got about 16 GB of free memory on hard drive and I got Macbook 2 ghz intel cpu with 2 GB of RAM which should be more than enough to roon smoothly on most projects.

I was watching my stat application and it looks I got still free memory while I run VW (about 1,5 GB). I also checked Activity Monitor and it looks as if during this specific operation (opening property window of some object) program halts and doesn't respond though CPU power stays at idle level (ie. not maxing out to 100% on both cores).

Please help - this brings me a lot of frustration.

Yesterday. And I ran it from OS X CD Boot. There was some problem that could be solved only this way. Could it be related to HD? Because I wasn't using VW for some time and meanwhile I changed HD though no other app changed its functionality (it boosted overall system performance). I also wonder if this could be Intel GMA graphic card issue but I think there's more Macbook users here and noone seems to say that they had the same problem.

I'm running VW2008 SP1 on a MacBook 1.83 GHz w/ 2G RAM and have not had this problem. I was running OS X 10.4.9 and recently upgraded to 10.4.11 (I skipped 10.4.10 due to audio issues.)

Are you running VW2008 SP1? If not, try updating.

You could also try upgrading the OS to 10.4.11.

I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to upgrade to OS X 10.5 - I think that there are still issues with VW and the OS itself.

Sounds to me like it could be a setting somewhere (because it's not all of VW.) When you reinstalled, did you delete your preferences files? If not, try quitting VW, deleting them (I think that there are 3,) and restarting VW. You'll lose any settings that you've changed and will need to reenter you s/n but it might fix the problem.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

I agree. no amount of memory or disk cleaning will speed things up. Vectorworks is just a slow program without real time zooming. It's frustrating moving things or just zooming and panning drawings. My office runs the latest MACs and they all have the same speed problem. It will never be as fast as smooth as an ACAD type program. Someone please help me on the "slow scroll zooming" posting from earlier today.

billtheia: I have reset VW in preference pane inside program. Should I delete files from OS level?

I think that problem is linked with the fact that after replacing disk I just copied VW folder and not installed it again. BUT I installed it after I launched the non installed version :) (just to be sure). So - are there some OS files I should get rid of?

Sandking, yes - I'd try deleting the files at an OS level. I had trouble with VW12 when I was running it and the NNA Tech had me delete the pref files and that fixed the problem. I haven't had to do this with VW2008 so I'm not sure if the files are the same. I'd do a search in both user and HD Library Preference folders for vectorworks and delete .plist files with dates matching the last time you opened VW. OR you could call tech support and see what they say about the file locations.

Sandking -

When you ran Disk Utility, and you had to run it from the boot disk, what was wrong with the hard drive?

Have you been able to run it again successfully since running it from the boot disk?