unrecognised file type

Hi,

i seem to have a file type problem. i was using VW 12.5 and one day, my file type stopped working as in, my pc did not recognise it a a vW file so when i double clicked to open, it would not open. i removed the program and all traces through the regedit and now have upgraded to 2008. the install went ok but still nothing. it is very vexing as i am use to browsing folders and selecting the desired file but with VW, i have to open it first then browse. how can i fix this so the program can identify its own files?

many thanks,

NS

Right click on the file and choose "Get Info"

Expand "Open with"

And select VectorWorks as the file type

Click on Change All

Click OK

The file association should be written and updated correctly.

Hi Katie,

i have tried the "right click, open with" along with setting the default through " default programs ".

( windows user )

i have browsed to the program to try & select but nothing. i have just completed removing EVERYTHING from the registry that was associated with Vectorworks, Nemetschek, .MCD, .VWX so hopefully, this might help on a re-install however, there was a heck of alot of registry items left in after an un-install. maybe because there is no way of un-installing as VW doesn't show up on a removal facility nor does it have an uninstaller so completely reliant on a folder deletion!!

i will now try to re-install and let you know how i get on.

Hi,

i have now re-installed VW2008 and still nothing. looking through the registry, the file types .mcd & .vwx are not there. also, going to the control panel/default programs, the file types are not listed there either!

i have selected a .mcd file, right clicked and selected open with, browsed to Vectorworks2008.exe and pressed select but it does not accept it nor show it in the list of programs available. it is like it is not even on the PC.

its getting very frustrating. surely i am not the ONLY person with this issue.

regs,

NS

Hi Katie,

i am using

Windows Vista Ultimate,

Intel dual core T2300 @ 1.66GHz

2.00GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce G0 7400

Vectorworks Fundementals2008 / Renderworks

( Sony Vaio laptop )

i have added some things into the registry and i can now select VW as a program to use and after selecting the program, VW will open however it doesn't set like this even with the tick box ticked. i have compared various settings with a desktop PC and some of the settings are different. i would have thought that a new install would refresh everything to at least recognize its native file type!

i have logged on as another user and still the same issue. my account is an Administrator account so i have full privileges.

how can i successfully remove every trace of VW from the pc for a completly clean install?

many thanks,

NS

Hey,

i have fixed it...... here was the problem-

registry settings

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VectorWorks.document

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VectorWorks.Template

with all sub keys that point to the application & icon were missing.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Mcd ( that points to the above was missing )

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Vwx ( that points to the above was missing )

anyway, so far so good :)

NS