printing for pc's

i use both macintosh and pc copies of vectorworks 8.5.1 in my landscape office. My coworkers and i have no trouble sending 24x36 inch drawings to the 8.5 x11 printers we have and scaling them accordingly to fit the letter sheet side from a mac, however conducting the same set of instructions as posted elsewhere in this forum-- it seems not to work at all on the pc's== this is very frustrating cause the print software is exactly the same in functionality on both platforms and in any other piece of software on the pc one is able to use the built in print scales to reduce without a hitch.

please let me know of any methods around this problem

we have an hp 8550, hp 4000, and an epson 720 we are using for letter printers.

jonathan

------------------

Jonathon -

We use VW on PC's and this is one of my big gripes about VW - there is no "Print-to-Fit" available. You can only achieve this through the printer driver **IF** it allows it (and so far only our big HP 1055CM allows it).

What I have found (through the IntelliCAD forum) is a free (yes, free!) PDF writer that you can "print" to from VW, then can open Adobe's Acrobat Reader and print the page to any size that you wish. It's a pain to have this extra step but due to VW's refusal to include this **ESSENTIAL** feature within the print/plot module it's the only way. :-(

I'll have to get the http address and post it separately.

Good Luck!

Alan T. Hendry

Architect

Clovis, California

Email : athendry@altavista.com

Jonathon -

Here's the info on the PDF writer:

You can download 5D PDF Creator for free from www.ctrlp.com. All you do is join up, and login, goto free downloads and there it is, ready for you to get. You do have to also request the software Key to install it but it is sent via email very quickly (like seconds!). It does all the Metric sheet sizes as well as Imperial up as far as A0 extra.

It is amazing what you can find when you try.

HTH

Alan

• 1 month later...

I've been reporting this problem with the windows software for years since we switched to thw PC. Tech support acted as if I was crazy and said I was the only person having these problems. I finally gave up on them and bought every desktop printer I could find to test them. The only one I have ever found that works the way the driver is suppose to is a Panasonic KX-P6500. They may be imossible to find now and if so we're both out of luck in the future. Tech support claimed that VW would solve all my printing problems but as usual it didn't although it's better. I don't know how these people can completely ignore something this esential that has been absent for so long.