Why is it so hard to move 3D objects

So can somebody enlighten me as to why it is so hard to move 3D objects in 12.5? The move cross hairs are showing, it says point and I move it to a point but it ends up out in space somewhere. Sure in the ISO view it looks there but switching views shows that it is jacked. I seem to recall an add-on that helps this but I cannot find it. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

The best suggestion I can offer is to not try to move object in isometric or other 3D views. Due to the geometry of the display on a flat screen it will only cause frustration as you have found.

The better way to work is to move the object twice in the primary views (front/top, left/front, back/right, etc.). If you use working planes, you could do something similar around the I,J,K axis.

The other option is to use the 3D snap points if you can.

Pat

Pat's analysis is spot on...

however this points to the larger issue the working within 3d Space is not easy and requires getting involved with the OIP data entry and working plane concepts.

The easiest approach is switching between the various views and noting the response

in the OIP xyz coordinates while moving stuff around. With a little practice it all becomes second nature just like 2d.

So can somebody enlighten me as to why it is so hard to move 3D objects in 12.5? The move cross hairs are showing, it says point and I move it to a point but it ends up out in space somewhere. Sure in the ISO view it looks there but switching views shows that it is jacked. I seem to recall an add-on that helps this but I cannot find it. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Hi JJ,

The "feel" snap of the 3D cursor must be more or less the same that of the 2D cursor. Provided you are working on a G5 mac or higher. If you are working on a recent computer, but it seems like you are working on an steam driven model, you might benefit from replacing your VW folder. (iow reinstalling)

Success,

Gerard

For some difficult 3d moves it helps to place a 3d locus at the desired snap point of the moving object (group locus and object, enter the group, move the locus to front) or at the target location or both. That way your smart cursor text reads "3d Locus" at the desired points. You can ungroup and delete the locus later.

And, yes, prior to making the move, change view with flyover tool or iso mode in the 3d selection tool and zoom in. Change view again after the move to check. Use Previous View button (lower left of drawing window) to toggle back and forth between views.

-B