cross platform compatability

i want to know if anyone is having the same cross platform problem that i am.

i am working with vectorworks on a mac and i have a consultant who is using vectorworks for windows. the stationary file i sent him he was able to open and use without a problem. the issue is his sending files back to me. i know vectorworks should open them up but it is not doing so. to open his files on the mac i need to use maclink as a go between. i have tried opening the files directly from vectorworks without success.

any suggestions?

quote:

Originally posted by adrienmer:

i want to know if anyone is having the same cross platform problem that i am.

i am working with vectorworks on a mac and i have a consultant who is using vectorworks for windows. the stationary file i sent him he was able to open and use without a problem. the issue is his sending files back to me. i know vectorworks should open them up but it is not doing so. to open his files on the mac i need to use maclink as a go between. i have tried opening the files directly from vectorworks without success.

any suggestions?

When you receive the file from your Windows partner, the Mac creator and type codes are not set correctly. You can either open up the file using the File->Open menu in VectorWorks

OR

Go to www.download.com and find a program called TypeShuffler. You can use this program to properly set the creator codes and type codes for a document.

[This message has been edited by Lyndsey Ferguson (edited 07-06-2000).]

An important difference between MacLink and TypeShuffler (and similar programs) is that MacLink actually translates the data in the file from one format (say, MS Word) to another (e.g. WordPerfect). TypeShuffler will just change the creator code and type code of the file, and leave the data contained in the file untouched. Both Mac and PC versions of VectorWorks read and write files in the same format, and so there isn't any actual translation to be done at all. Your problems seems to be just one of getting the operating system to realize that the file in question was created with VectorWorks. This is normally done with the type and creator codes, and that's why TypeShuffler can be useful.

It sounds a little fishy that the Open command didn't open the file. I haven't got a recent copy of VectorWorks with me right now to test, but you might try adding '.mcd' to the end of

the file name if it's not already there. Or again, try just dropping the file onto the VectorWorks application icon.

If you continue to have trouble, you might contact the friendly folks in tech support. I'm sure they've seen every possible permutation of this scenario.

Caleb Strockbine

caleb@nemetschek.net