Dbl-Sided Fireplace

doughd

This may be a stupid question, but I am not sure how to get a double-sided fireplace to show correctly in 3D. I can insert the fp into only one wall, but I need it to be inserted into two walls. When you do a walk-through the building, the fp is shown on one side only, but not on the other side.

Yea, that worked, thanx cipesdesign. But really, are those extra steps necessary? I think if NNA is going to put a certain plug-in object or symbol (fireplace) into the software, why not make sure that all bases are covered!? Does anybody there have any architectural design and/or drafting experience? Doesn't seem so.

Robert,

There have been a few cases where I have had to insert a single fireplace in two opposing walls. This type of fireplace can be found at Heatilator ST36D See Through 36" D Style fireplace.

All I did was create a hybrid symbol and install to one wall then create another opening to match the size of the symbol for the other wall. In essence it required two seperate operations.

This type of procedure mantains the integrity of the wall structure for proper framing.

Pete A

Doug,

Here is what I do to install a double-sided fireplace.

First thing is to have the symbol built to the exact manufacturers specifications.

See Attached VWX file (symbol in walls)

Select this to down load vectorworks 2008 file 2SidedFireplace.vwx

Here is the fireplace plan view

Fireplace2.jpg

Here is an iso showing the symbol side

Fireplace1.jpg

Here is an image showing the cased opening side with the walls transparent so you can see the opening jamb

Fireplace3.jpg

The reason for the gawdy blue color is so I don't forget to build and install a mantel or hearth.

Hope this makes some sense...

Pete A.

Doug,

Posting pictures is no secret...here's how

You need to have a place on the net to store the pictures...they are not stored on this forum. Once you have the pics put on the net just select the "Enter an Image" button on the tool bar of the post window.

Paste the file path to the picture on the web hit ok and bob's your uncle.

Pete A.

Actually you can post an image right to NNA's server. First, click on the "REPLY" button (as this doesn't work in the "Quick Reply" window) then click on "File Manager", then navigate to your image (I usually put mine on the desktop to make it easy to find). The rest is self-explantory (I think).

Edited by CipesDesign
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything else about this dbl-sided fireplace deal? Is NNA looking into this? I think normally a double-sided fireplace is done this way, is it not? (see my picture one thread above). I'm still having to create a cased opening for the second wall.

• 13 years later...

3 Sided Fireplace.vwxHi There,

I'm late to the party but found this post helpful with my same problem. 

I was attempting a 3 sided fireplace but also encountered the same issue with a double sided. 

My solution was to make a custom wall thickness that included the cavity for the fireplace (20" wall thickness)

Like Robert suggested above, I made the insertion point in the center of the symbol. 

I included my working file for example. Seems like its a good solution

Edited by Partridge Design