Ability to set the units of various parameters individually

Christiaan

Question

We need to be able to set the units of different parameters individually.

Anything to do with levels and co-ordinates, for instance, we need to be able to set to metres while everything else can be in millimetres.

So, for instance, on a section or elevations we will show window and floor-to-floor dimension in millimetres but we need to be able to show the elevation level, using the Elevation Benchmark tool, in metres.

Edited by Christiaan

22 answers to this question

Despite the somewhat confusing topic title, which reminded me of the horrors of Claris CAD (R.I.P. - each object had its own scale!), this is easy-peasy. You just have to get a professional Elevation Benchmark tool from somewhere...

Have you checked VectorDepot? I'd be surprised if no-one else - with even rudimentary programming skills - but I would have needed exactly this; perhaps someone has what you want as freeware, so that it suits your firm's budget.

NNA's tool (the one you paid good money for) does not do this? Well, there's something I'm not at all surprised of!

Nearly posted this to the wishlist several times myself...but I only ever think of it when I'm working...rather than browsing the forums..

Your post title is misleading though Christiaan, as it's not individual objects, but whole parameters, and just like you can have length in millimetres and area in square metres, we need to be able to set elevation in metres. Standard UK practice.

We currently make do with millimetres, and have to explain to the contractor that the decimal point is missing.

Okay, changed the title, but it's still sucks. My brain is getting slower and slower the closer I get to my holiday.

There's no live plan co-ordinate tool I know of Chris.

We use the Elevation Benchmark the same way as you and explain the same thing to contractors (and look a little stupid). It's interesting how similar we resolve so many things.

We currently make do with millimetres, and have to explain to the contractor that the decimal point is missing.

Chris, you can enter text manually into the Level BenchMark tool and show the levels in metres that way.

Vectorbits has a simple Level Dimension tool as well. Same issue though - if your drawing units are in mm the level will show in mm. If you want to show them in metres you have to resort to using manual text. http://www.vectorbits.com/ToolsMenus/LevelDimension.html

A far bigger issue for me is the Stake object. In Australia all spot levels are shown in metres. With the drawing units set to mm (our norm) the Stake object shows the levels in mm. For us the Stake object cannot be used for annotations because of this.

This duality of units probably sounds bizarre to our NNA cousins, but it is the reality we have to work with:

- Levels are always shown in metres.

- Dimensions are always shown in mm (the one exception to this is that dimensions in metres are permissable on site plans).

Having a metre option on the Level Benchmark and Stake objects would make both of these tools far more useful for us.

Edited by mike m oz
It does however remove the risk of the levels 'accidentally' becoming incorrect because someone has inadvertently moved the drawn information on the page without realising what the consequences are.

True. The probability of this stupid situation (caused by a fundamental flaw in VW) can be reduced by mandating that rulers are not be shown. (Why are they needed in the first place! OK - 20 years ago when Sgt. Diehl taught us to draw, there was a Mighty Competitor - QuickDraw MacDraw - that had Rulers. Do we still need rulers? I don't think so.)

So, where are we? In order to avoid All Risks related to dimensioning, we should always use option of NOT showing the dimension and type the desired dimension. Great going - this is the VW way!

Maybe I'll switch to Photoshop for my working drawings. Then everything can be arbitrary and The System won't stuff it up.

It does however remove the risk of the levels 'accidentally' becoming incorrect because someone has inadvertently moved the drawn information on the page without realising what the consequences are.

I find the bigger risk is mis-typing, so prefer to avoid manually adding such annotation.

I made a mistake with an Easting & Northing coordinate last year, and got a pile (drilled footing in US speak?) in the wrong place. Luckily the ground beam could still be positioned OK, so it didn't cause a problem. An automatic Coordinate PIO would help reduce such errors.

It's crazy that thirteen versions into a piece of vector-graphic software, that displaying the X,Y of a locus should be so 'manual'.

I'll keep a look-out for the Vectorbits solution, but I hate managing add-ons (we're now a mix of Leopard and Tiger users..is it stable with both..etc..etc).

Edited by Chris D

By the way NNA, if you do add a Live Coordinate PIO (and you should), it needs to be able to do two things to work in the UK:

1. Display the coordinates in metres, to three decimal places, regardless of the file units

Again, it may seem like an anomaly that us metric users use dual units, but it's just the way it is. Building Dimensions in millimetres, Site Dimensions in metres (usually). Coordinates are site dimensions, as are Elevation Levels, which all relate back to AOD (Above Ordnance Datum, which is mean sea-level at Newlyn on the south coast of England)

2. Display the X and Y tags as E and N (for Eastings and Northings). Not sure if this is international parlance?

I'll keep a look-out for your Vectorbits solution Mike, but I hate managing add-ons (we're now a mix of Leopard and Tiger users..is it stable with both..etc..etc).

Well, don't complain, then! You do not support third party developers and encourage competition, so just suck whatever NNA gives you and be grateful.

Chris, you need to add to your list the need to have the Property Line tool have metre dimensions as well.

So in the UK (and in Australia) we need the following tools to have a metre units option when the standard drawing units are set to mm:

- Property Line tool.

- Stake object.

- XY Coordinates object (new object required).

- Level Dimension tool.

Feet/inches for elevations and I have seen both decimal feet and decimal feet/inches for site or survey dimensions (456' 3.25" or 456.27' mostly the latter).

Don't tell me after all this time there actually IS a benefit to imperial?

I'd laugh if I wasn't so flabbergasted......

Edited by bc

It occurred to me that a "Level Benchmark Tool" that would work with model elevations may not be exactly a trivial thing: we do not have 3D text.

I seem to recall that Julian Carr has a 3D text object so he may have the necessary routines. Computerworks is another one.

I figured this might be trouble. It was a weak and perhaps uninformed attempt at humor.

"So, for instance, on a section or elevations we will show window and floor-to-floor dimension in millimetres but we need to be able to show the elevation level, using the Elevation Benchmark tool, in metres. " (Christiaan)

I assumed that if one were using imperial units, the dimensions, section/elevation would show in feet-inches as would the Elevation Benchmark so when using VW this would be the benefit...no units shifting and apparently not funny either.

And Chris D? I never understood it myself. I just thought that it was a convention dictated by the semi-engineering mindset of surveyors many years ago. I do think, logic and unit translation issues aside, that decimals read easier on the plans and are less apt to be mis-read.

Sorry to have created the diversion. Actually surprised Petri didn't jump out of my monitor and strangle me (picture smiley face emoticon here). He made what appears to be a good point although such things as the elevation benchmark tool have little utility for me. Over and out.

Bradley

This request is closely related to one that I (and several others) have mentioned in architect: unit settings for space objects. In general, if a significant part of an object's function is displaying dimensional data, its units and precision should be adjustable. I can understand the desire to standardize units and have only one setting per file. But in practice, different units are required for drawing, for presentation to clients and to contractors, etc..

I am lucky in that all my work is in metres with 3 decimal, therefore, building plans originally in millimetres when imported to my drawings visually look comparable as the decimal point becomes a thousands placeholder.

How about having an option to display northing / easting (y / x) & well we are at it display azimuth for the bearing.