Editing 3D-components of symbols

Double click to get the interim box.

The "famous context sensitivity" is built into the right click behavior with VW 2008, making it easier to jump right to what you want to do, rather than be presented with an extra dialog, or extra step(s) - in your case switching views.

Double-click takes to 2D editing, not to any "box".

The old behaviour was excellent. Why was it changed in VW 2008? Why did you mandate extra steps or operations?

There is no "switching of views". If I'm in a 3D view, it is pretty obvious that I want to edit the 3D component of a symbol in the current view.

Petri,

Actually the functionallity was enhanced, but as often happens the enhancement was hidden.

Right click (Control Click) on a symbol and select Edit from the contextual menu. You will get a dialog box that asks what part of the symbol you want to edit along with a pull down menu labeled "Double Click."

The Options under Double Click are:

2D

3D

Current View

Bring up Dialog

I don't know how your system got set to always edit the 2D, but at least it is (should be) easy to set back to your desired functionality.

Pat

Ah. Now I got it - thanks, Pat. Well, obviously this awkward behaviour is the factory setting. I never use these control-click thingies.

Actually I only found out about it yesterday when doing a demo to a new user. Worked the wrong way there, worked the wrong way here.

Edited by Petri

It probably came about because users said they wanted it.

The right click contextual menu is excellent because you can choose to edit the 2D or 3D parts of symbols. It would be better if you could also choose to edit the insertion options.

On the other hand though an even better improvement would be to only have door, window and opening symbols interact with walls. Having bathtubs etc. snapping to walls is a bit of a nonsense. All that is necessary is to have these non "hole forming in the wall" type of symbols and PIOs snap to the wall. There is absolutely no need for them to anchor themself to the walls and annoy the user by having to flip them or alter their position through the OIP because they have developed an amoral attachment to the wall.

I have nothing against new features. While I choose to wrong click, the righteous ones can do what they please. I just want to be able to use VW the way I have for umpteen years.

When the factory settings of a feature are changed to something unknown & new (and totally stupid!), reinstatement of the status quo requiring undocumented configuration, I am annoyed.

Amen from me, too! In a CV-project type of a CAD-program, written on the kitchen table, sweeping assumptions like "all symbols are inserted to walls" are acceptable, but in a professional CAD-system this is pure nonsense.

Oh Lord: authors of such systems should drive a Lada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada), not even a rusty Toyota, not to even whisper of Mercedes Benzes.

As I've stated several times, the "Insertion Options" of symbols and PIOs should (as the default) have the option "Ignore walls".