Accessing 3D plants

Peter, that is not possible. That popup only points to the default content location and cannot be changed to point elsewhere.

If you want those X-Frog 3D plant images to show up in that popup, you can simply copy the X-Frog file and place a copy of it in the following location:

/Libraries/Defaults/Plants - 3D Symbols

That will then make those 5 or so default 3D symbols, as well as images in the X-Frog file, display in that popup. If you want the 5 or so default 3D symbols to never show up in that popup, you can remove the 3DPlantSymbols.mcd file from the directory that I pointed you to above.

As Katie stated, in VW2008 it is a much simpler process to get your 3D plant images into the plant object.

Hopefully this helps.

More problems! I copied the conifers & deciduous Xfrog files to the default folder which worked great until I needed shrubs. After copying the shrubs to the default folder the new PLANT TOOL creations showed as 3D loci. I discovered in the resource browser that the shrub texture was in the symbol/plug in section along with the 2D plant icon. I also discovered there are duplicate textures in the shrub & other tree files. After removing the shrubs from the default folder it looks like I'm back in business but I've lost hours dealing with VW's quirks and strange behaviour. With all due respect, your team needs to focus on ironing out the many behavioural problems in VW's.

More problems! I copied the conifers & deciduous Xfrog files to the default folder which worked great until I needed shrubs. After copying the shrubs to the default folder the new PLANT TOOL creations showed as 3D loci. I discovered in the resource browser that the shrub texture was in the symbol/plug in section along with the 2D plant icon. I also discovered there are duplicate textures in the shrub & other tree files. After removing the shrubs from the default folder it looks like I'm back in business but I've lost hours dealing with VW's quirks and strange behaviour. With all due respect, your team needs to focus on ironing out the many behavioural problems in VW's.

I am uncertain with exactly what the problem you explained actually is. Are you saying when you tried to add the 3D symbol and picked a shrub, that a 3D locus actually showed up?

In VW2008 one of our main goals was to focus on getting rid of a lot of the quirkiness in the workflow, and the overall goal was to get plants to act more symbol-like.

Adding the 3D portion to plants in VW2008 is as simple as it would be to edit the 3D portion of any symbol in VW. You simply double click on the plant, select "Edit 3D graphics" and you are brought into the 3D portion of the plant where you can add any graphics by dragging/dropping from the resource file or creating your own right there.

It is in the same fashion of double clicking on a group object to enter the group and modify the underlying geometry, then exiting out of it.

Andrew, the shrub appeared as it should in the 3D box of the PLANT TOOL, it's after I've placed the plant in the drawing that it appears as a 3D loci in an isometric view. When this happens the plant (3D box) should appear as a texture in the resource browser but it instead is under the symbol/plug in section of the browser. It must have something to do with the duplicate tree/shrub plants (copied to the default folder) confounding the PLANT TOOL. This is what I mean about erratic behaviour in VW's.