importing/exporting dwg files....and having problems with font styles

sigurd

Question

I'm currently using VW 12.5 and have been importing and exporting both dxf & dwg files with little problems, however recently I imported an AutoCAD dwg and rescaled the design layer at 1:1. The drawing was fine except for all the text. It was a) converted to a default font-Geneva and b) illegible, misplaced and piled onto of each other. the dimension settings had also been converted.

My question then is,

Can I download the txt font style and add it to the library somehow?

I am trying to avoid having to use AutoCAD at work but may have to because of the text problem.....

4 answers to this question

Can you post a screen shot of the text on the screen?

SHX fonts are not supported outside AutoCAD, so there's no way to download and use their font.

You can however, find a similar font (if not a standard OS font) on the internet to download and use in the project.

Autodesk made Truetype versions of Txt and many other standard SHX fonts (Monotxt, Simplex, Complex, RomanC/D/S/T, and the various ISO, Sy, Gothic, & Italic fonts), and installs them with Autocad. Install means putting the TTF file in the system's Fonts folder. So you should be able to find them on the other computers at work. Just copy them into your own system Fonts folder, and then re-start VectorWorks.

Good luck avoiding AC. It's frustrating when you share files with AC users, because you have to limit yourself to data types that Autocad can use.

Thanks for that.

I'm going to try the suggestion of copying and pasting it into the fonts folder next time I'm at work. I will also post you a screen grab of the text while I'm at it. It seems to me that the converted text cannot go beyond a particular point size when the drawing was rescaled at 1:1 and as such, the text becomes illegible. It's fine at a smaller scale ie.1:50