How I would like the stair tool to be!

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

I still find the stair tool useless and we need to always use symbols for a correct drawn stair.

Katie and others are saying that we must post pics showing how we want the stair to be instead. So here is a pic of how it should be and what I get using the tool:

trapbe.jpg

If you look closely to the stair from the tool, you'll notice that the dotted line, for representing the nose, can't go behind the next flight of the stair! This is wrong from the programmers. I understand that this is easier for them, but the line should go to where it must be, and just be cut at the point where it meets the next flight. I think that if they can fix this, the stair tool should be much more useable.

The second major 'bug', for 2D representation, is the handrail. Because it is always sticking out beneath the flight where it begins, it shows bad at corners. We can define the amount of sticking out at begin and end, so it should only be drawn where the flight is and not before or after.

These are 2 serious 'bugs' in the stair tool. And I am certain that if they fix this, this tool will be more usefull for everybody on the whole wide world.

I hope the programmers will understand me and make the best of it. I'm just trying to help.

Edited by DWorks

11 answers to this question

I like this as well, and I can see from your pics that you've picked up some other things I would like to see:

1. Tread numbers (even have tread levels if possible, based on layer levels).

2. ability to dot in stairs on demand, or show double break line with stairs still shown.

3. Ability to control the stair arrow a little more (offset, direction, lineweight etc.)

4. Custom text, and alterable in terms of location and content.

For me, the stair tool remains only a thing to be used in the 3-D model, and (sometimes) as a reference tool.

To communicate a stair's construction graphically we draw lines; ultimate control, no frustration, life is good. Why use a thing that ADDS time to producing a drawing?

The stair tool should be renamed "A PIO used by dabblers". As a person who's draws for a living, the stair tool is neither an accurate stair, nor a tool.

Programmable objects will always come with restrictions of how customisable they can be - which is why we need to push for more and more complexity within those objects (also more new programmable objects) to make them useable. The potential to save time using the stair tool is enormous - in particular for large buildings requiring a lot of fire exits (which are simple in form). They can assist in section cutting, and perhaps even identifying problems with setout. As Christiaan also says when it comes to change the stairs (inevitable in most cases) it is much easier.

If you want ultimate control, you would draft it manually, but then you're back to square one (I'd do this only for unusual stairs).

I'm certainly ready to jump on the bandwagon here. I've been using VW for six months and, in my opinion, the stair PIO is in the greatest need of repair. It works just well enough to sell VW but not well enough to actually use it once you get into a project with VW.

In addition to many of the issues mentioned above, railings need a great deal of help. We need a greater variety of railing styles to chose from, ability to chose from a variety of top rails, newels, and balusters, ability to return ends to the wall (or another railing,) and the handrail tool needs to be coordinated with the stair tool so that both tools offer the same types of railings and the same options for their configuration.

For the stair tool to be of any use in a 3d drawing, the railing issues must be addressed.