Newbie Question -3d Tape Measure

Hi all,

Sorry for the foolish question but: Is there a 3d tape measure in VW2008? One of the main reasons I use VW is to find the relative position of objects in space based on their positions in the VW model I have. The 2d tape measure works well enough for this purpose but when I saw a mention of a 3d tape measure here:

http://www.ozcad.com.au/vw/spotlight/spotlightaustfeatures.html

It made me wonder if that is in fact only a feature of the Australian version or if I have been just using the wrong tool all along. Usually when I make measurements I try to put the two objects in a plane and then use the 2d tool. If there is a 3d tool that just gives the distance without having to adjust the view that would be pretty neat. If there isn't a 3d tool does that just mean that there really isn't a need for a 3d tool and there is a smarter way I should be taking measurements?

Thanks for your patience, I realize that I too often come here flailing my arms and begging for help without giving much back to the community.