Screen Flicker & Open GL issues

I know there has been discussion regarding screen flicker in other posts with various conditions, sugestions etc but I have not seen a cure.

Running 12.5 on two different PC's have not had ANY of the problems some have encountered. Since upgrading to 2008 multiple issues have cropped up. The worst problem being a blinking drawing screen and Open GL doesn't work.

At the office I'm on a simple HP running XP pro with Celeron 2.4GHz processor, 1 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 video 125MB, and logitech optical wheel mouse. Other than being SLOWER to respond for various function in 2008, no serious problems.

Home machine is XP pro, custom AMD 64X2 dual core 4200, 1 Gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT video (driver dated 10/04/07) 256 MB, latest MS optical wheel mouse, new drivers (not sure version)

When I upgraded the home machine to VW2008 I immediatly had the blinking screen. With mine, the entire drawing blinks about 6 - 8 times every time something is selected. Process stops until blinking stops. Last night I discovered Open GL render does not work in VW2008. To test and see if it might be a card issue I went back to VW12.5 opened the earlier version of the same file I was working on and Open GL worked just fine but now 12.5 blinks. I did replace the mouse recently and upgrade the drivers and I'm not sure if I was using the new mouse with 12.5 but I did not have any issues with 12.5 prior to upgrading.

So....is this enough information for a diagnosis/solution? Need help!

JJ

Edited by DIYguy

In one of the preview posts on this subject, I suggested removing ipoint.exe from the processes list. Can you check your Processes under the Task Manager for ipoint.exe and stop it if listed? Report back the results.

(Also make sure you have the latest video drivers installed)

Definately the latest video driver. When I upgraded to 2008 and got the flicker I check threads and then went directly to NVIDIA for latest driver. (10/04/2007) I am suspicious of ipoint as a possiblility for the screen flicker. I checked the office machine and ipoint not present (also no flicker) Will have to wait to check the home machine but any thoughts why Open GL quit?

I have an Nvidia 8800 gts video card and had screen flicker. Latest drivers made no difference. Problem was Microsoft Ipoint drivers for my mouse. Version 6xx is the culprit. Use version 5.5 or earlier and no problem or remove ioint fro version 6 and higher from windows startup using msconfig. Shut off ipoint and problem went away.

taoist

Update.....

Checked system processes and yup...found ipoint running. Shut down computer, removed the brand new MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 and retired to computer parts graveyard. Replaced with basic MS optical wheel mouse from computer graveyard. Rebooted, went into programs and uninstalled intelipoint. Rebooted, installed v5.1.26 (7/01/2001) driver. Reboot.

As of right now my page doesn't blink when opjects are selected and GL rendering is working again.

That's what's so great about these forums. Been there, done that, share the news!

JJ

ipoint.exe has been a troublesome process for a variety of software programs.

The only way I discovered it was by a FormZ tech person contacting me after seeing a post here in a search engine search result.

Thank goodness for him!

Are you using a Microsoft mouse? IF so,click on start button at far left of task bar. Click on Run, then when window pops up type msconfig. When system configuration utility pops up, select startup tab (far right). Scroll down till you see ipoint (if using microsoft mouse). Uncheck box.

This solution came from Vectorworks tech support when I submitted a bug.

Taoist

Since ipoint is a Microsoft mouse program, has anyone tried replaceing the MS mouse with a Logitech or other? My office workstation has a Logitech optical wheel, doesn't use ipoint but I still have double-click and scroll for the wheel. As mentioned previously, no blinking screen. When I uninstalled ipoint on the home machine and went to older drivers I lost double-click function. I'm thinking of replacing the MS with a new Logitech on the home machine. Let ya know the results...blink or no blink.

For anyone still experiencing screen flicker after removing mice processes, we think we've narrowed it down to a separate issue.

For testing purposes, please turn off the floating data bar in VW 2008 and report the success of this along with your OS.

We believe this is a problem limited to Vista, but need to collect enough data for acceptance testing.

To be clear there are two issues:

1) Mouse process - ipoint.exe or the microsoft mouse driver itself

2) Floating data bar with Vista

Open GL will crash VW2008-SP1 on my laptop.

Widows XP, HP zd7120us 2 gigs ram, latest available video driver (2004). Graphics Device Manufacturer's update does not recognize any upgradable devices.

I was working through the Step by Step Tutorial and cannot use Open GL in in a sheet layer VP. It would just lock up.

I've also crashed using Open GL for 3d views. It also corrupted the drawing file (which I have since overwritten).

My workaround is not using Open GL. Duh.

Hello,

I just installed VW2008 designer w/ rw and noticed that the pointer on screen jumps around (flickers). It is only the pointer and not the entire screen. I'm on a mac using kensington mouseworks. It happens when I am using just the macbook screen and also when I have the cinema display connected.

Another problem I noticed is when change class attributes from the navigation pane (especially colors) the changes do not take place. I need to, for example change the fill to none, exit come back and then give a new fill color before the changes take place.

An OS X -rated movie?

Let the record show that I've experienced screen flicker on a couple of MacMinis. Maybe it is not flicker: the entire screen went psychedelic, man!

Was not in a position to investigate the details, but I'd say 10.4.10 or 10.4.11. I'd also say that this was mainly in OGL context - but, oh man, it was SOOOOH WILLLDD that I did not make notes! Just crazy, man!