Create Viewport Section (marker problem) 2008

CS1

I have created a "viewport section" and using the "section line"

I have chosen "marker type 2"

"text at both ends" selected

For "text style" I have chosen "item over sheet"

Under "item name" I have inserted "A"

Under "sheet name" I have inserted "03"

When I look at the marker on the Page the "A" is in the centre of the marker with the "03" hovering s;ightly under the marker. It seems the marker is alligning he centre of "A" with the centre of the marker and not aligning "A"/"03", hope that makes sense. I have tried manually moving the text up but there is no individual selection mode for the text just the marker as a whole.

Sorry for the frequent use of ""

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Yesterday I spoke with a new user (since 2 weeks or so). He had lost all section markers and all sections. Despite 4th grade interrogation, he did not confess having done anything wrong.

Now, I am breeding a new pack of rats, to be used in my Friendly User Rehabilitation Room 101, but if he still insists that 2+2=4, what should I do?

It is a pain that the text can not be centered on in the section box - its not neat and looks unprofessional. Also linking the sectionline to the vp means the same sectionline only appears on one level when it shoul be shown on all levels / plans. Its hard to edit or move the section line and easier to recreate the section line but then all your lines and notes in annotations has to be redone. There may be ways round this but it is not simple.

I don't understand what you mean by "text can not be centered on in the section box". Do you mean in the annotations? Or in the section line marker.

For your second problem, select the Section Viewport in the OIP. Near the bottom of the box is something called "Section Line Instances" (or something similar, I don't have VW open right now). Click the button and you will get a list of all the possible layers. Just check the ones where you want the section line to show.

Seem pretty simple to me ;-)

Pat

Michael,

Select (don't double click) the section line and look closely. You should see two selection handles. One is centered in the middle of the two bits of text, the other is at the end point of the section line.

Grab the one for the text and drag it to the other one. Does that look like you want?

The problem that I have found (other than having to do this in the first place) is that the text is behind the rest of the pieces in teh stacking order, so once you get the two handles coincident, you can't grab and move the text again.

I am working on a script to do the alignment. It works, but it needs some polish. How would you like to see the script work? Active Layer, All Layers?

You could probably also edit the Paramters for the Section-Elevation Marker PIO. Item 18, ControlPoint01X has a default of 0.1. Change this to 0 and it should be centered. I know it says NNA DO NOT CHANGE!!!!!!!!, but I think this would be safe to do. Downside is you would have to do it after every upgrade.

Regards,

Pat

• 1 month later...
Guest Wes Gardner

Michael,

Have you got your section info worked out...once a section has been cut and placed on a sheet, you need to go to the Object Info Palette (OIP) and as CS1 suggests, down near the bottom is a "button" called Section Line Instances - this is where you can tell VectorWorks on which drawings (Sheets) to place your section markers...

Is this what you're looking for?

Yes we have now done this but the section lines only show on the design layers. We set the section line up on the ground floor layer plan not the vp ground floor plan [i believe this is correct to set sections up in design layers and not vps]. We have check that the class the section lines are turned on and turned on in the vp but they do not show in the vp? As the vp is the page printed it would be could to see them on the vp.

Are we doing something wrong or do section lines do not show in vps?

Guest Wes Gardner

You CAN locate your section lines in the plan viewports of your final drawings.

Here's how -

Go to one of your section sheets, single click the viewport there, go to Section Line Instances in the OIP, toggle the button to show you the list of VIEWPORTS, select the plan viewport you wish to have your section "bug" occur on and Voila!

You may have to "mess around" (technical term) to get your class visibilities where you want them but that's how it's supposed to work

If you send me your e-mail, I'll attach a file (residential scale) showing this process

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

Can you be a little more specific, when you say "move" is that just relocate on same sheet or create another sheet and move it there (or another scenario?) and move which, a section viewport or a plan viewport? And yes, I'd be glad to help.

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

I tried moving a plan viewport and it had no effect - rock solid stable and same results with a section viewport - even if I move the section viewport, the plan stays in-tact, same the other way 'round

I'm on a Mac? In theory, platform shouldn't have a thing to do with it...but that's THEORY??

Sorry, I can't make mine mess up...

Edited by Wes Gardner