Vectorworks - C4d

can someone here reiterate the current state of affairs regarding the Cd - VW plugins?

I've recently purchased VW 2008 but haven't installed yet, as i am awaiting clarification on the plugin....i would rather wait than risk. please, if anyone from VW is listening, do not attempt to convince me to use RW, as that will only infuriate me.

Does the plug in from VW 12 work in 2008 or is there an update? what is the state of affairs for C4d 10 or 10.5 with VE 2008?

Tim, NNA are a bit sensitive about 3rd party renderers because they see them as competing with RenderWorks instead of adding value to VectorWorks.

If NNA's position is that you can't get official support here for such plug-ins then fair enough but I think it's a bit unfair to suggest we can't discuss these matters here with other VW users.

Imagine Maxon saying, sorry contact NNA about the VW->C4D plugin, Maxon does not produce VectorWorks.

my point of view is pretty straightforward:

i use VW and C4d, and have tried renderworks....I seriously doubt renderworks can ever compete seriously with C4d.

If VW and C4d was ever to loose compatibility, i may instead opt to use Archicad and C4d instead of switching to RW. I hope we never have to come to this point.

But, is that a risk that VW can afford to take?

NNA, I honestly suggest you opne your platform as much as possible (ask Steve jobs what he thinks about that) when and where it makes sense.

Just MHO

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again timpower:

I think it's great that you have a solution that is working for you. I just think it's annoying to post a question, not wait for a response from the other forum members, then start a new thread asking the question again 1/2 hour later.

Katie, maybe we could use a third-party renderers section to the forum?

sorry - it is not my intention to annoy anyone.

My lack of patience is based on the fact that recent upgrades have totally broken my work flow, and after having spent lots of tine and money to 'upgrade', I have recently had to go through the downgrading process of reinstalling older programs and OS's.

In the meantime, Leopard and VW 2008 is on the shelf - waiting to upgrade again for a second time ------ when clients are waiting for their work to be completed, they don't care whose fault it is that the plug-ins are not updated!

BTW - I support idea to start a third party rendering forum.

when clients are waiting for their work to be completed, they don't care whose fault it is that the plug-ins are not updated!

The buck stops with the person managing the upgrade. It's not NNA's or Maxon's fault. The person upgrading the software should have checked which software wasn't compatible before upgrading.

further opening the VW program as much as possible to what WE architects and designers do on a day to day basis is necessary in order to help the program grow - any communication which advocates the opposite ('we do not support', or 'we do not produce', or 'contact some else') makes it hard for my non VW colleagues to want any thing to do this program! They see this and walk away!

My experience is that when I am 'inside' the VW environment I am very satisfied, but any attempt to communicate with any environment outside, is nothing short of a constant struggle.

You at VW can agree or not, but that is how it is for THIS user.

Tim, as much as I like to criticise a few aspects of its operation, I think NNA are a pretty amazing company to be honest. I'm not aware of many companies this size who are so responsive to users and have so many staff who actively participate in a discussion forum like this. To produce the software they produce at the price is laudable too.

But this is one area where I like to poke them with a stick. It makes perfect sense not to officially support 3rd party software. Why would anyone in their right mind suggest NNA should do otherwise? However, 'officially supporting' and 'open communication' are two different things and NNA seem prone to getting them mixed up.

I'd love to see NNA working actively with 3rd party software makers to ensure their products are compatible (and for NNA to start seeing 3rd party renderers as VW value-adders instead of competitive threats to RW). I'd like to see NNA provide notices on their VW updates page to warn users about potential problems with 3rd party software. And I'd like to see NNA allowing open discussion about 3rd party software on their forums.

But none of the above need be considered "supporting 3rd party software." Quite the opposite: they'd be supporting their *users,* some of whom happen to want to use 3rd party software with VectorWorks.

NNA does actively communicate with 3rd party vendors, including C4D and ArtLantis.

There is a general industry standard where the 3rd party product manages the compatibility statement.

There is a general industry standard where the 3rd party product manages the compatibility statement.

It doesn't have to be a compatibility statement Katie. Simply a prominent reminder, to check 3rd party software compatibility (with the relevant developers), on your updates download page and your DVD packaging would be enough.

Tim, as much as I like to criticise a few aspects of its operation, I think NNA are a pretty amazing company to be honest. I'm not aware of many companies this size who are so responsive to users and have so many staff who actively participate in a discussion forum like this. To produce the software they produce at the price is laudable too.

I agree - I think the software is great, the service quite good - the price is OK.

But there is always room for improvement - I think VW needs to get more users on board however, and any means to get VW to a tipping point should be encouraged.