Selecting Multiple Objects to change textures

Denis O'Reilly

Hi guys can someone tell me if there is a way to do this?

I want to change multiple objects in a model and change them all to one texture but it wont let me, I can only change one object at a time, so say I select a custom made window frame, ie lots of rectangles that all are ungrouped, and I then go to the render tab of object window, all options disapear? I can only see the change options with one object selected?

This was not the case in version 10 which i upgraded from?

You can't apply a texture to a rectangle (or a bunch of rectangles) as they are 2D objects.

Are you sure they are rectangles and not extrudes?

You should be able to make this change in the Obj Info Palette render tab.

What version of VW are you using?

Both Katie and Islandmon are correct, however to complicate things a little more, even if you have only 3D object selected, if they are not the same type of object, the texture options will vanish.

To trouble shoot this, select the objects you want to map, and look at the Shape tab of the OI palette. It will say the number of objects selected, followed by the type. If they are all the same, it will say "Extrude" or whatever type of objects they are. If this is the case, you should see the texture drop down menu. If it says the number of objects selected, followed by the word "Objects", then you have something else in your selection, maybe a locus point or a group, etc. Again, this is true even if all of the objects selected are 3D objects.

Still though, you are not out of luck. To accomplish what you are asking, which is to quickly apply he same texture to multiple objects, whether they are the same type or not, you have two choices. The first is to group the selection. You can then apply the texture to the group, and all objects in the group that can, will receive the texture.

The second and even quicker way is to simply double click the texture in the OI palette with the objects already selected. As with the group, RW will apply that texture to all of the selected objects that can receive textures.

The nice thing about these two methods is that if you have a 2D object selected, or a PIO, or some other non-texturable object, it will simply be ignored while the others will work just fine.

Lastly, to follow-up on your comment about VW 10 not behaving like this, you are correct.

third option:

place all similar textured objects in same class,

assign texture to class.

using this method, it is easier to change textures for multiple objects later. one step instead of many.

Absolutely agree. Doing this not only makes it easier to globally modify textures in your model, it also affords you the ability to override class attributes in viewports to create different color/texture schemes of the same model, in the same file.

Ok guys - yes all objects where indeed extruded Katie.

Michael, thanks for the confirmation on this issue, this is a bit of a bummer to work round as when you select all objects and then double click the texture in the OI pallet you still have to manually go in and then change orientation etc. Can you guys note this as an issue for any future fixes. Its a real slow down. BUt having said thay I appreciate all the improvements!

I will have to look into the class suggestion,

No option is going to allow you to change the texture mapping properties when multiple object are selected. The just simply isn't a way to do this. For me, because I am often using wood grain textures, the typical mapping modification is to rotate the texture 90 degrees. to over come the fact that I can not do this with more then one object selected, I have created alternate version of the textures I most frequently need to do this for, and simply remap the rotated version to the multiple selection if needed.

Another possible work around for you is to extrude as many rectangles as you can at once. The result of course is a single extrude, and even though it might contain several 2D objects as it primitive, you can control mapping options globally. Of course this method only works in select case, but it is helpful if you find yourself in one of those cases. Another benefit is that RW will map the individual pieces separately, often resulting in a correctly mapped object right away.

• 2 months later...
third option:

place all similar textured objects in same class,

assign texture to class.

using this method, it is easier to change textures for multiple objects later. one step instead of many.

Will that work w/ symbols place on different classes?

Say if I have a symbol and I place multiple identical symbols in the model and need to render the same symbol different colors.