Design Layer Viewports and Class visibilities

Christiaan

Question

The ability set class visibilities in DLVPs seems to go against NNA's principle that they shouldn't be used for presentation and it creates a very confusing situation where Sheet Layer Viewports (SLVP) override the DLVP settings.

It seems NNA is trying to have its cake and eat it, which is not how principles are meant to work.

I think either we should lose this ability (and have DLVPs use whatever class settings are currently set overall), or we should have some way to tell SLVPs not to override DLVP Class visibilities.

Any other ideas?

6 answers to this question

And, later on today a good example of how badly this all works:

A site plan file that was converted from v12 to v13 had DLVPs that were previously Layer Links. The problem was when we opened this file in v13 and double-clicked through the SLVPs to the Design Layer the previous Layer Links seemed to have disappeared. They hadn't, it's just that were now DLVPs with all Classes turned off!

Having worked this out and managing to actually select them I had to then modify the class settings manually because there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the Class settings of a SLVP to DLVP.

Christiaan, I've listed this problem as a bug. One of the ideas for dealing with it is to have a preference in the DLVP info palette that allows "ordinary" class settings to override, and to have all layer links translated from earlier versions automatically check this override.

Katie, the problem simply stated is that with class visibility controlled by DLVPs, we now have to look in multiple places to control how objects appear in a design layer. This adds one, or possibly numerous, extra steps, and is particularly difficult when a saved view from a version 11 or 12 file is converted to 2008. If that saved view shows a layer that contains layer links, and was dependent on class visibility settings, the visibility of objects in the 2008 version of the file can be very different from what was set up in the original.

Way to go Christiaan & Pete keep fighting the fight.

I seriously believe there are some major problems with DLVP that have not been developed & thought thru.

Today I decided with 2008 to use these powerful developements to my advantage since I had paid for them.

Well when it came to print off Sheet layers what a stuff up it appeared.

All the layer opacity i got excited about I had to toss away by developing a class called "Design Layer VPorts" that I could turn off then edit the SLVP to Change layer Opacity and turned on layers & off my class "Design Layer VPorts"(which I assigned my Design layer viewports.)

What a load of old bollacks!!!!!.

I am excited about some of the capabilities in the new version, but I suspect what I have done for a few years that there seems to be a lack of "real" beta testing happening in releases now.

I have floated around since late Version 8 & to me 11 release was as good as it got.

All the way thru 12 has been unstable especially with 2d edit tool capabilities.

I see the potential for all of this stuff but my 10 cents worth is for VWorks to seriosly sort out its Beta testing.

Real world. No way we should be coming across these fundamental qliches now.And if they arent qliches o dear thats disappointing really!

BBalemi

xp sp2 2008 sp1