Combine vs Compose

The Combine/Connect tool in Combine Dual Objects Mode and the Compose command seem to return the same result:

A single polyline made from two (either method) or more (compose) polys.

But for big polylines, the Combine tool can invoke the beachball and take a while. Or a looong while. The same objects Compose nearly instantly.

Are these two processes really returning the same result? If so, then why would the process time be different?

-B

Thanks, DWorks - My question is about the workings of the software. I am trying to understand what happens to the vectors in each method so that I do not export and send a discontinuous poly to the cutting service. Your answer is very helpful with the bit about calculating the end points. That would explain the long execution time.

My experience in versions through 12.x is that the Dual Object Mode for the Combine/Connect Tool does not always succeed. It does not always manage to extend the polys to meet and then join them. It does not always succeed even when the end points are snapped coincident. It seems that some polylines, especially if they are shaped from clips, splits, etc are too complicated or are somehow corrupted and mess up the endpoint/extend calculation. Compose can usually get the job done.

Thanks again

-B

• 1 month later...

I have a question about using the Connect/Combine tool while in plan rotation. I'm creating the elevations in 2d from the floor plans, and it's real easy to just use the 'rotate plan' tool to create these elevations. BUT, when i try to use the Connect/Combine tool on lines, I don't get the expected result. It wants to connect the EXACT opposite sides of the line!! What is going on?!! BTW, it this tool doesn't work on single obj connect mode or dual.