CLASSES

genie

I know I'm paranoid, but to me this sounds like an attempt to maintain competive edge over independent developers - a measure needed because the NNA engineers can't compete on a level playing field.

They don't need that edge. Working day in day out with the code is all the edge they need. We have to pause our scripting every now and then, just to go out and earn ourselves a living.

But it comes close to what I was wondering:

The SDK is open to everybody (read: a very select group that masters C++). Using the SDK we can (could) build event-enabled tools with mode bar buttons. So why is there a call to VS? Are NNA programmers still using VS to build Plug-Ins, too? And why limit the use of that call to NNA only?

BTW, The online version of the documentation is maintained by Charles Chandler, too.

But it comes close to what I was wondering:

The SDK is open to everybody (read: a very select group that masters C++). Using the SDK we can (could) build event-enabled tools with mode bar buttons. So why is there a call to VS? Are NNA programmers still using VS to build Plug-Ins, too? And why limit the use of that call to NNA only?

If you didn't notice: NNA is making more and more of their plug-ins in VS instead of C++. So 'still using' is stated wrong.