dimensioning

lucylou

Does anyone know if there is a way to decide beforehand the size, font, style etc of a dimension? currently you have to set out the dimension and then click on it to change its style/size etc. which is ok if there is just a few dimensions to change but if you have a whole building that is dimensioned then it can take a while! if only you could even in the OIP change the font there like you can text?

just discovered the dimension exterior walls button - great one!

To answer your question: I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Should you also wish to know how to do it, although you did not ask: just set the default size, typeface & style (the combination of these means "font" to us old-time typographers) to whatever you want and the dimensions will be as specified. You can even save such settings with Tools - Custom Tool/Attribute.

To set the Dimension Style that will be used when creating new dimension objects, pull down File > Preferences > Document Preferences > Dimensions tab. The style showing in the box is the one that will be used.

In that same tab, you can also create a new Custom Dimension Style, or Edit one, by clicking on Custom.

Some improvements to dimensions that would make them far more user friendly are:

- The ability to have the font, font size and font style defined as part of a dimension standard. ie. preset what you want your dimension text to look like and not have this by the file text settings current at the time of dimensioning.

- The ability to switch the witness lines from being fixed or unfixed on any individual dimension or dimension string. ie. make it individually controlled rather than all or nothing preference in the dimension standard definition.

Some improvements to dimensions that would make them far more user friendly are:

Yes, that is one approach. However, I believe that font (in the typographic sense of the word) should be a part of class attributes. Whilst by default, dimensions would still go into Dimensions class, all other graphic attributes surely should be inherited from the class.

(If this sounds half-baked, it is only because I'm fully-toasted: a bad day at the office.)

no i agree entirely! its a good thing that dimensions automatically go into their own class (shame text doesnt do the same...) so why cant you easily set the type/font whatever you want to call it!

Thanks for your help though, at least i know im not the only one! (as i often am!)

im sure we all understand bad days at the office!!! :o)