Viewing Imported image view - while not on current layer

I import an image file into a reference design layer and scale it appropriately. I then change to the design layer that I want to work in (above the reference layer) and want to trace over the image, but when I have the layer view option set to "grey others", the image in the reference layer shows up as a grey box with a X in it. I can see the image if I change layer view option to "show others", but then I show all others, which I don't want to do.

Can someone give me a pointer?

I may eventually want to have multiple reference images that I want to trace over, showing only the image I want at a time.

I can manage the situation by setting layers to "show others" and hiding all not needed layers, and setting reference layer to lower opacity, but it seems like a workaround.

Thanks

When I gray others, the imprted image turns into a rectangle with an X in it. The only way to view the image is to have its layer active, or while other layers are active - to "show all".

I can work with it that way, if that is how it is supposed to work, but it seems that I should be able to grey that layer and still see it.

PS. I really like the software. I am learning to apply my work flow to it and adjust my workflow based on the software capabilities.

thanks