Help me Please!!! How do you automatically create new layers with a DTM

You may have been thinking of the 'Filter 3d polygons..' command which will put the result on a different layer.

My mode of work is to select the data, create a site model choosing to retain the data in the layer, and then to move the site model (one object) to a different layer. It is not appreciably more difficult than what you seek but the end result is the same.

Important with either of the above to ensure that the Z value of the layers is the same and probably should be 0

The Filter 3D polygons menu takes the current set of data (polygons representing contour lines) and filters them to reduce the number of points. The new set of polygons (new contour lines) can be moved to another layer.

This is unrelated to the Site Model dialog box.

But the Site Model dialog cannot create a new layer.

What Dean is suggesting to you is his workflow of moving the Site Model to another layer once the Site Model is generated using the Obj Info Palette.

Any object can be moved to another layer and/or class by using the layer/class drop down at the top of the Obj Info Palette under the Shape tab.

What version of VW is your instructor using?

Have you tried speaking with your instructor to have them show you what they are doing?

Dear me! The Katie has deleted my message!

The DTM module was far from perfect when it was programmed by COMPUneering. (Sorry, Erez - this just is how I feel.) Nevertheless, the conceptual framework was there. Data sets, layers, classes - just perfect!

After NNA took over (as, in an extremely unprofessional manner, made known to yours truly by a certain Vice President), the DTM module has become even less useful than before. This is something one might call an achievement: take a half-useful product, make it useless, be proud, send dissidents to Gulags.

Petri

As one spends way too many hours with grading plans - currently on a 27 acre sportsplex, I find the 2008 version of the dtm module vastly improved over previous versions. Yes, I do believe there can and need to be improvements, but progress has been made. One only has to be around AC's Civil 3D to hear many more complaints and appreciate NNA's progress.

It would be appreciated if you would elaborate on how VW2008 DTM is a vast improvement over VW12. I purchased & tried VW2008, but did not find it had any improvement in handling variable sloping surfaces.

Have not switched to VW2008 because Raymond Mullin has not released a update for his Reshaper tool. The ability to reshape arcs, polylines & the azimith display mode over ride the benefits of VW2008.

In fact VW2008 was great source of frustration as I couldn't edit any workspace because of or lack of a "Bulb Flat Plug-in" & NNA didn't bother to follow up on the problem. I eventually solved the problem by opening Workspaces in TextEdit & deleting all references to the offending plug-in.