Master Symbol Library

solidstatedesigns

Question

It would be nice to be able to save newly created symbols in a master library of sorts. As it is now I always use a template to start out with. As I create new symbols I would like them to show up in one place next time I start with a fresh template. My work around now is this: About once a month I open my template file and go through all the recent drawings and import the new symbols I made and then save that again. I think it would be helpful to have a "save in master library" option.

6 answers to this question

Why not create them directly in your master library, then copy and paste into your new drawing? This is my method so I never forget to add new symbols to my library.

that what we are doing here also, only we drag them instead of copy paste.

I do like the new option in VW2008 to send resources to another file. This way you can have a 'test' file where all the new resources will be send to. Then the library manager can check that 'test' file and edit the symbols if needed before adding them to library files. It gives more control for the control freaks among us. :)

With VW 2008, you can select any symbol and push it out to a master library file without having to manually open the master file. You can even push them out to the template file.

This may work. I am on 12.5 now. Can you explain to me how this works in 2008? Do you do it through the resource browser or can you do it when creating an new symbol. What I was thinking was a check box upon creation that says "save to master file"

Thank you

Why not create them directly in your master library, then copy and paste into your new drawing? This is my method so I never forget to add new symbols to my library.

That is essentially what I do now but I do it backwards. Create it in the file I am working with and copy it over to my template. The problem with creating it in the master fist is that I often use groups of different objects that may not be useful as singular objects, but are design schemes or pieces that I may want to use in the future. For example a stock set, or common set ups for different clients. I have found it more effective to me to go through my drawings once a month and pick what I would like to keep or remember in the future.

This is why I think a simple checkbox on creation would be terrific. If what Katie describes is as easy, it looks like I will be on the upgrade path.

Edited by solidstatedesigns