2008-Designer + Vista - Dongle 'lost' in sleep mode

IanH

I left VW 2008 for a while and when I returned, Vista (Ultimate) had gone to sleep. When I resumed, VW said that no Dongle was attached and, after giving me the option to save my work, exited.

Is this an issue with VW and the Dongle or is there a setting in Vista that I need to apply to the USB dongle to control its behaviour when in sleep mode ?

When the computer goes to sleep, so do the drives. When a drive goes to sleep, the communication between the drive and the dongle is lost.

If you want to put your computer to sleep, you'll need to first close VW to ensure work is not lost.

No. I'm using a Mac - and that does not refer to a hamburger nor to Penny Lane.

The Tiger, however, goes to sleep when the Energy Saver tells it to and wakes up, ready to hunt, when I click the Mouse.

EDIT

My FireWire discs also are at my beck and call immediately when the Tiger wakes up.

Edited by Petri

I would expect other peripherals to work as expected because they have a bi-directional communication. In other words, when communication is lost, they know to go ask for connectivity again.

The dongle does not work that way. It works on a uni-directional communication and only when an application, like VW, prompts the OS to communicate with the driver. If the device is disconnected, which theoretically a sleep would do, the only way to reconnect the device is through an ask by the OS - in this case, a launch of VW.

Well, I guess that's great you have gotten yours to work that way.