VW 2008 Architect - serial number install problems

cavanna

Question

I purchased single license for VW 2008 a few weeks ago and installed it on my machine. A week later I purchased a license for VW Architect and reinstalled with the new SN. However, when VW started up it would start up as Fundamentals; the "About Vectorworks" window continued to show the Fundamentals license, and I was unable to access the Architect module.

I trashed the VW 2008 folder, emptied the trash, and reinstalled the program, this time using the SN for the VW Architect module. But the computer seems to have retained the old Fundamentals SN; now when I start up it still shows the old SN in "About VW" and I'm still unable to access the Architect module. I've tried reinstalling 3 times, and even ordered a new install disk from my supplier in case there was an issue with the original disk. (The results are the same with the new disk.)

It seems that trashing the program folder from the "Applications" folder doesn't fully uninstall the program, as my computer has retained the previous SN info somewhere else. Does anyone know how to fully uninstall the program so I can run a completely clean install? Or, if that's not the issue, does anyone know how I can activate VW Architect?

My computer is a MacBookPro running OS 10.4.10.

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

The serial number is stored where most serial numbers are on the Mac, in the Preferences folder.

You need to go to you Home folder and then go to Library:Preferences amd delete the file net.nemetschek.VectorWorks.plist. If there is a file with .saved after it, delete that one also.

In VW12, the file in the Preferences folder is VectorWorks 12 Prefs

Pat

By the way - the .plist file was installed both in the home folder and in the Macintosh HD folder. I deleted the file from both versions. When I restarted VW it asked for a SN, which I entered; now the .plist file is only in the home folder.

I thought I'd mention that in case there is a bug somewhere installing the .plist file in the system folder when it shouldn't be ... perhaps that was the root of the problem? It seems odd that I would need to delete preference files in order to activate a program upgrade. Whatever preference upgrade is needed is usually done automatically by the installer ...