How to place one VW file into another (merge or place as symbol?)

STILL a newbie.

I'd like to place the contents of one VW file into another and have the placed objects retain their layer and class assignments. I've tried copy and pasting in place but this only copies objects from one layer (even though I have Layer Options set to ...Modify Others) on to the current layer.

In ACAD, I'd place the file as a symbol and then explode it.

Is there something similar in VW?

When you paste in VW, objects retain their classes just as in AC (though AC uses the term "layer" for that), whether they're in a symbol or not.

AC doesn't have layers in the sense that VW does, but it does have tabs, which have some of the same function as VW layers. When you paste something in AC it's pasted onto the current tab regardless of what tab it was on in the source file. In VW, it's pasted onto the current layer regardless of what layer it was on in the source file.

Also make sure you have set up the exact/and or unique layer and class names in the destination document to "take" (VW will import all new class definitions) the source items. Once the layers & classes are defined in the destination document you would need to either multible cut and paste all items from each layer name into the corresponding layer in the source doc, or paste all items at once into one layer in the destination doc and then by adjusting class visibilities cut and past those items to get into the layers you wish them to reside in.

Edited by Damon Design

I'm at least generally aware of the differences between VW & ACAD (layers, classes, etc.)

What I'm trying to do is place one VW file into another WITHOUT having to copy and paste layer by layer.

Isn't there a way to bring one VW file into another and have it bring it's layer and class structure with it?

Import/export or merge option for VW to VW should be a wish list item.

Can referencing be done on a single hard drive rather than several drives on a network?

For a minute there, I thought you could export FileA as dwg and then import into the target file. Unfortunately, all the FileA VW design layers import as one combo design layer in the target, so you are probably better off just doing the copy/paste for each layer.

The dwg mode for Export All Sheets sort of works if you create a Viewport from each design layer in FileA and place it on its own Sheet layer - use a sheet name similar to the design layer. The sheets port into the target file as sheets with all the objects, the FileA sheet layer names, classes, and view settings. When entering the combo design layer from a sheet/viewport, the stuff from other sheets is invisible. Objects on each FileA design layer are converted to a symbol on the combo layer. You can enter a symbol to get at the objects from the FileA design layer- but they got converted to symbols or decomposed segments. DTMs are just lines.

Like I said, it only sort of works.

-B

You can import classes, design and sheet layers, and their elements using VW 2008.

In earlier versions this has to be done layer by layer. Turn on all classes and set the class options to Show Snap Modify others. Set the layer options to active only. In the destination file, create an identical list of design layers. In the original file, copy everything on the first layer and paste in place to the destination file. Continue with other design layers.

In versions prior to 2008, copying sheet layers is not permitted.

When creating a new class or layer, there's now an option to choose the class/layer from another file.

You can then select which classes/layers you want to import and whether or not the objects in those classes/layers is also imported.

It's a nice way to synchronize class attributes between files.

• 5 months later...

Update:

Katie's (now Anonymous') technique (New Layer - Import Objects) only works if the drawing you are importing TO doesn't already have layers with names matching those in the drawing you are importing FROM. Pat's technique (WGR) doesn't work in this case either.

I have a template file which contains all of my standard layers, classes, and sheets. I also have an older file that I started before I created the template file. The layer names are generally the same in both files so when I attempt to import the old information into the new template by creating new layers, none of the "duplicate" layers show up in the Import Design Layers list. Similarly, if I attempt to WGR the old file into the new one, I get an error message for each "duplicate" layer that prevents these layers from appearing.

It looks like my only recourse is to copy and paste between files - bummer.

Dear NNA, It would be great if we had the option to overwrite or merge "duplicate" layers when importing design layers and WGRing.

Edited by billtheia

Agree with Bill on that. For every show I do in the same theater - the set and line schedule changes. I get a VW document from the TD with all the new info. Would be nice if I could just import all that info into my rep plot VW document instead of having to take time to copy and paste (not to mention making sure it all lines up with plaster line, etc.)

Monkey, changing the layer names will defeat my purpose. My template file has all of my sheets laid out including SLVPs. I want to merge the information out of one file into the structure of my template. Changing layer names would break my SLVPs.

Jeffrey, I don't see how DLVPs will solve my problem. As I mentioned above, I want to import data from one file into the structure of another so that my pre-configured sheets show the imported information without having to re-set visible layers.

It looks like Craig has the same wish.

Oh, for a little added joy, copying & pasting works great with stairs - NOT!

As has been documented elsewhere on this forum, stairs do strange things when copied & pasted. I'm trying to straighten that out now.

Quick, someone remind me, why do I use VW?