Problems with importing DWG

Hi!

If I try to import two DWG files into one VW file, they completely overlap, while they should be adjacent.

I cannot imagine what's wrong. Maybe the coordinate system. Where can I set the coordinate system I use for VW and where can I specify the originating coordinate system when importing?

Edit: The files are geodetically measured pieces of land. I have no idea what to call them in English.

Thanks.

Do the two files have the same origin with one of the files' objects offset?

VW will import the objects based on the coordinates in the file. If both files have their drawing elements at the same distance from the origin, then that distance is observed during the import.

Do the two files have the same origin with one of the files' objects offset?

Could you elaborate that? I don't follow you.

I add an image file that illustrates my problem. This is how the imported shapes are positioned. The line I marked in blue, should be a common line of the objects and its ends have identical coordinates when I open the files separately in AutoCad.

Edit: Using VW11. And oh golly, I thought the picture would be handled as a link.

When you open the two files in AutoCAD, or whatever DWG program you are using, are the objects' coordinates appropriately set? In other words, is object one a set distance from object two relative to the coordinate system?

If you don't know this, you can open the file in a DWG viewer and check the coordinates. Alternatively, you can send the dwg files and I'll take a look at it.

Importing dwg files has improved over the last major versions. It may not be a bad idea to upgrade not only for improvements in this area but other areas which increase productivity.

Also make sure you are using VW 11.5.1.

I've never had much luck when importing more than one "world" coordinate AutoCAD file into a single VW file - not even in VW 2008.

Unless there are pressing, urgent and compelling reasons & needs (of nature unknown to yours truly), imported data should be kept in separate files and referenced to the work file.

I've never had much luck when importing more than one "world" coordinate AutoCAD file into a single VW file - not even in VW 2008.

Unless there are pressing, urgent and compelling reasons & needs (of nature unknown to yours truly), imported data should be kept in separate files and referenced to the work file.

This is true. When I import them into separate files and mark a the corner with a locus, it pastes in a correct place in the second file when I copy it.

Referencing works great, I wasn't aware of that option before. Thanks, Petri!