Installation Disk Problem - Series A

j.christ

Question

I have just (and only just) finished installing VW2008 with lots of trouble.

Using the supplied install disk I tried installing onto my machine with Vista 32bit Ultimate & 4gig ram and then on another machine (which is identical) with no luck. And no error messages.

I then tried on my laptop (WINXP Pro 2gig Ram) and did not install. My business partner was supplied with a disk which I also tried installing from but with the same results.

I even tried using different DVD drives, fitted into the machines and then connected via USB...and still no joy. It installed to about 69% then displayed and error message that it could not open WinAppA.

I tried copying both install disks onto my machine and it did not want to copy, so by this stage about 4hours later (I'm very patient) I was getting frustrated. Each time I tried it haulted on copying either WinAppA or Common1-6.

So being technically minded (sort of) I thought...what if I copy the dvd? I tried copying the disk but this did not work either. The error was "cannot read from source". I then tried creating an image file, thinking it's worth a go I suppose having been supplied with 2 dud dvd install disks. But Nero created an image file with no problem, so I continued down this track.

I then burnt that image file back onto a blank DVD. Once burnt I then copied the contents of my DVD onto my local drive...SUCCESS!. I then installed it without a problem from my local drive.

I dont understand why this would work but it did.

Edited by j.christ

3 answers to this question

That's odd. You were smart to try and copy the contents of the DVD to the hard disk. This definitely should have worked. Question though, did you try to install from the DVD you burnt? Or did you copy it over immediately on to your hard disk?

Hmm. Definitely odd. Some machines can't handle the I/O from the DVD, but looking at your system stats that shouldn't be an issue for you.

We do actually get feedback on this from the installer. Things like this are definitely a tiny minority, but I'll look into possibly trying to find a pattern amongst the incidents. Thanks for the report though, and hopefully if anyone else runs into a similar issue they can try your fix and hopefully add their story here.