Print to PDF/Export PDF VW 12.5.2, Mac OS 10.4.7, page size and bad quality

CRSA_890

Question

I have a project that I am setting up and have a problem with pages sizes changing while Print to PDF (through the print command) and Export to PDF.

The model is setup with viewports created from render-works camera objects, rendered in FQRW. Page setup is 11x17 (tabloid scaled 130%) with the pages tiled This was done to essentially 'blow up' the viewports to nicely fit on the page. The Sheet layer has a DPI set @ 300.

1_page-setup.jpg

When using File, Print, Save as PDF, the final output size is correct (11x17) but the some of the quality of the rendered image (see white buildings) is poor. File size is 31.6 MB.

2_largePDF.jpg

When using File, Export, Export to PDF, we get much better quality, but the page size is incorrect (8.08" x 12.69") if you scale it up by 130%, will fit on an 11x17.

This would make me think that the File Export to PDF option is not referencing the page setup, or something else weird. But the quality is much nicer!! (see the same white buildings. Plus the file size is 4.3 MB. Quite a difference.

3_small_pdf.jpg

Thoughts on how I can solve the quality problem, or the page size problem?

Mac Pro

Mac OS 10.4.7

VW 12.5.2

Thanks,

Spinner

1 answer to this question

The PDF function in the print dialog is an image-based quality. The Export to PDF is a true PDF document, which supports greater quality.

When exporting to PDF, the page size is pulled from the File > Page Set up (might be print set up) menu.

Make sure once the page size is set, you also select One Printer Page. This will ensure the proper margins and printable area is defined.