Window/Door Schedules VW 2008

RS Magnuson

It sounds like you have a duplicate of the first floor plan 4 times.

You can figure this out simply by using the Force Select option in the Worksheet while right clicking on the database row to locate the window. Once you do this, look in the OIP to see if the extra windows are on another layer.

You may also want to delete the window to see if another set of duplicates lies below.

As the peripatetic, yet benevolent, CAD-Nazi, I hate to say this: it looks like an user error.

EDIT

Katie is on the ball. One may, however, have made 3 copies of the data.

Please, please, please: have Offset Duplication ON! There's absolutely nothing to lose, everything to win!

Including not being required to pay my trouble-shooting fees which include 4-star accommodation and travel in Business Class; hourly rates, calculated for any commencing 15 minutes, apply from the moment I leave home until I've returned; tally including any discussions or correspondende, at my discretion. The rate is double for time not between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays, triple for weekends, quadruple for Sundays, in an accumulative fashion. So, when I'm sitting on the plane on a Sunday evening, deleting your quadruplicates could easily cost you a few thousand euros per hour plus expenses.

Edited by Petri

I think design layer viewports of a plan will cause it to count things in the viewports as well.

What's really nice, in VW2008, you can select an object from the worksheet. Just right click the row label and select item. Works great to find those stealth objects that are accidently added to the file.

Edited by dcont

Select one or more rows in the schedule and then drag either the rising bar "button" or the falling bar "button" (right above the row headers) into a column. It will add the icon to the column header.

In the window schedule, there are already two sorts applied. First is the prefix and the second is the window ID. If you don't want these to be the primary sorts, just drag the sort "button" into a different column.

Each sort button has a 1, 2 or 3 on it. They will sort in that order. So sort 1 will be done first, then sort 3 will so a subsort inside of sort 1, and finally, sort 3 will do a sub sort inside sort 2.

Pat

I think design layer viewports of a plan will cause it to count things in the viewports as well.

Duplicates were obvious and I checked for them before I posted the question.

dcont got it right. I had three viewports in model space referencing my first floor plan. One on my Site Plan Layer, one on my Exterior Elevations Layer, and one on my Interior Elevations Layer so that I could referece dimensions quickly. The Window Schedule, for whatever reason, counted the windows in the viewports as well as my First Floor Plan design layer. Thanks dcont!

Deleted the Viewports and fixed the problem. But now how do I use viewports in model space without throwing off my schedules?

Edited by RS Magnuson
  • 2 weeks later...

You need to go in and modify the database criteria used for the worksheet. Select the Database Header row and click and hold on the little triangle. Choose Edit Criteria.

Add an additional line to the criteria for the design layer you want the schedule to be for.

This way you will only get the windows on a single layer. You should be able to do something similar if you want multiple layers in a single schedule.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Posted by Pat: "In the window schedule, there are already two sorts applied. First is the prefix and the second is the window ID. If you don't want these to be the primary sorts, just drag the sort "button" into a different column."

Where are the sorts at in the worksheet? I used Tools>Reports>VA Create Schedule. Do you have to create the schedule a different way to use this feature?

How do you post someone else's comment on your reply in those boxes? Is there anywhere on the forum where you could learn this kind of stuff?

The duplication of window and door records in the schedules had me head scratching too. I have a design layer which has viewports in it, so that explains it. What to do about this though? In previous versions of VW I would create a "model" of the building with layer links, but this is not an option any longer...

Well, David,

A building model might be "constructed" of external reference design layer viewports that are inserted on layers representing "stories" or levels instead of walls, windows, door, etc being drawn directly on the layer. The default criteria behavior is to look for all possible objects that fit that criteria in in the entire file, unless limited by user definition.

Layers are merely "containers", they don't know if the information they contain is a floor level relevant to a larger model or just a 2D drawing of a detail. Layers know their relative spatial relationship to each other, but don't have the intelligence to recognized their "meaning" or "syntax" to each other. The tools VW provides with Stack Layers, Align Layers and design layer viewports (old Layer Links) allow users to construct a syntax.

The database tools then allow the user to further establish syntax and relationships to/between objects.

Well, Jeffrey,

I'm just a simple architect doing simple houses - most of the concepts and language you use are well over my head.

However, I would have thought the default for a scheduler should be to look at the model layer and measure all the layers linked there - that's the one place where you can be sure you're only measuring things once.

But how does any layer know it is part of, or a container for, a "logical" building model? It doesn't. All design layers are considered "model" layers. So, the schedule is looking, by default, for all info in all the design/model layers. The user has to qualify that search based on how he/she has chosen to organize the model/data.

If you chose to re-assemble the building data on another layer via layer links, then you have duplicated the data set and need to qualify the database where to look, or what to redact, the original or the copy.

If you simply use the "Stack Layer" option and no layer links, then there is no duplication to be contended with.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with David on this one and believe, while Jeffrey is technically right, that his response places ideology over practicality. Design Layer Viewports have been touted by NNA as REFERENCE layers. If I use a viewport of a building's story as a reference, such as a floor plan below a framing plan, I don't need the new VPDL to create false counts. This should be the default setting and others needing a more expert report should be the ones adjusting the sorting order of the schedule. After all, being the more expert, they already know how to do this. (No slam intended toward Pat.)

Practicality trumps ideology when the number of users overwhelmingly use a tool in a similar way, at which point the tool should be optimized. This is one of those times.

In cases like this, perhaps some sort of little message should pop up (and believe me when I tell you that I HATE little pop up messages).

But in the interest of making the program 'user friendly' and 'intuitive' a little message that says "This schedule will count objects on All layers. You can modify it by adjusting the criteria" might be informative.

Naturally it should have an option to disable it.

• 1 month later...