Question on Foreground, Background rendering in '08

What is the simple combination, which I can't seem to find, that allows the background rendering to be an oil painting and the foreground to be a (hidden line) Sketch? Foreground rendering always seems to show ALL lines of the model as sketched.

Can't we have a foreground choice of "Hidden Line Sketch"?

Set the background as Artistic and choose the artistic mode.

Set the foreground as Hidden Line Rendering. Click on the button below for rendering options. Turn on sketch and choose the sketch style.

Katie:

Thanks for the tip. But it's no wonder I'm confused. Shouldn't Sketch not be dangled as an obvious choice for Foreground Rendering if I only can get to Sketch by going through, and clicking on, Hidden Line Rendering? Clicking on Sketch first as my Foreground Render will not work. Shouldn't Sketch be grayed out or wouldn't it be better to put a button labeled "Hidden Line" on the Sketch palette and not visa versa? Or better yet, call it Hidden Line Sketch?

I'm guessing that 99% of models rendered using Sketch as the front-most rendering style aren't intended to show all lines of the object as visible, solid lines. I think Sketch has to be made to be the appropriate selection when intending to have an overlay of sketched lines on top of a solid background of oil, watercolor, etc.

I'm guessing that 99% of models rendered using Sketch as the front-most rendering style aren't intended to show all lines of the object as visible, solid lines.

The reason sketch can be applied without a rendering mode, or in wireframe only, is because vector sketch can work on 2D objects as well. So while it is true that 99% of the time a 3D model would use hidden line and sketch, 100% of the time a 2D model would use wireframe and sketch.

Thanks, Michael, for adding the above clarification. My point remains; "Hidden Line Sketch" should be its own rendering command. This way, 2D projects use simple Sketch to render, 3D projects apply a second, hidden style called Hidden Line Sketch.

While an expert may find logic in the existing command structure, a newer user or one who renders occasionally will find the system, as it stands, user-unfriendly in my opinion.

Edited by tguy