Vectorworks on OSX best stability / performance

Hi Guys,

Could someone advise which set up will give the greatest stability and/or performance (least crashes, lockups etc) out of these two:

Vectorworks 12.5.x on OSX 10.4 (current setup)

or

Vectorworks 2008 on OSX 10.5 (upgrade being considered based mainly on wanting 10.5 on my machine)

I understand that the new tools on VW2008 should help productivity in program use but putting that to one side, does anyone have any advice on either of the two scenarios above?

I understand that if upgrading to 10.5 there will be an automatic need to upgrade to VW2008 but I want to know if I will be sacrificing stability by doing so.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

CM

I would say without a doubt that v12.5 on 10.4 is the most stable. But that's no surprise as v12.5 and 10.4 are mature products whereas v13 and 10.5 are not.

We've been running v13 on 10.4 for a couple of weeks and on 10.5 for a week. We had one instance where v13 on 10.4 crashed about 6 times in a day when the user was fiddling around with wall joining. Same could be true on 10.5, not sure. Other than that (and a serious notes database problem, which we think existed in v12.5 anyway) it's been very smooth sailing.

v13 on a PowerPC under 10.4 and 10.5 seems a little slower to me, but at the same time it seems smoother.

All in all the gains to be had from the v13 in our office far outweigh any stability issues. But that's just our organisation and we use VW in a certain way. Others would use it in a different way and might run into different problems. Which all makes it very difficult to answer your question really.

Christian is right, this is a hard question. You should consider that NNA is going to Update 12.5.2 for Leopard but I would think you could expect to see some of the same problems as 2008 is having with this scenario until it matures. You should also be aware that Apple just released OSX 10.4.11 for Tiger users so that will enter into the mix also.

Best of luck with it.