How come Design Layer Viewports don't have Annotations?

Their purpose is different.

Design Layer viewports are not intended for presentation, while Sheet Layers are.

Design Layer viewports are similar in nature to a Layer Link. It's used as an analysis tool during the drafting and design phase.

Still, what we're finding is that we'd like to add bits and pieces to a Design Layer Viewport, such as text, elevation references, additional objects we don't want on the original Design Layer, etc. Why switch to a Sheet Layer Viewport to add this stuff when we can simply put it on the Design Layer?

At the moment we're using Groups, but then you have to go into the Group to configure the Viewport.

Why are you putting those items in the Design Layer and not the Sheet Layer?

Here's a simple philosophy to follow - use Design Layer links the way you previously used Layer Links, and use Sheet Layer viewports as you always have - for annotations, scaling, presentation, and documentation.

Why are you putting those items in the Design Layer and not the Sheet Layer?

To put them on the Sheet Layer would mean having to produce content in two places when we could produce it in one. One of the very advantages of Design Layer Viewports is that we're not longer required to split this kind of content up between the Sheet Layer and the Design Layer.

For instance we used to create large scale kitchen drawings by creating a Sheet Layer Viewport from the 1:50 plans, then drawing elevations on a separate Design Layer and then viewporting these onto the same Sheet Layer as the plans. Then we would add content to the plans via Viewport Annotations.

Now we're no longer required to do this because we can bring our plans in on the Design Layer with the elevations.

Here's a simple philosophy to follow - use Design Layer links the way you previously used Layer Links, and use Sheet Layer viewports as you always have - for annotations, scaling, presentation, and documentation.

Our rule for placing content in Sheet Layer Viewport Annotations is that you do it when you don't want that information on the original Design Layer. This principle would work just as well with Design Layer Viewport Annotations.

Remember that Design Layer Viewports are also more capable than Layer Links so we use them in different situations, especially now that we can crop them.

I don't feel as though Design Layer viewports have replaced Sheet Layer viewports.

With DLVPs, you are not able to layout multiple views on one page, nor can you display them at multiple scales without having to create additional extensive (and unnecessary) set of design layers.

They should not be used for layout or presentation - this is what Sheet Layers / SLVPs are intended for.

I don't think DLVPs have replaced SLVPs either. In the workflow I describe above I would still go on to create a SLVP of the elevations and the DLVP plans.

You didn't address my argument that one of the very advantages of DLVPs is no longer having to split content between Sheet Layers and Design Layers if you don't want to.

Why put anything on SLVP Annotations if you can put it on a Design Layer instead? Putting something on a SLVP Annotation serves no purpose except to avoid changing the original Design Layer.

Interesting... Mike's idea may have relevance to my problem of generating room layout graphics for the Room Specification Sheets where "we" have identify eg. any number of walls, not just the N, E, S and W that the Americans have.

Where is "Publish" when we need it?

(For the uninitiated: Publish and Subscribe was a visionary technology in the Mac OS 7, killed by the need of Mac programs to be ported to DOS - or whatever it is nowadays called. If I could "publish" a viewport in VW and "subscribe" to it in FileMaker Pro, I could actually make this happen, but - thanks to Bill and his disciples - that is not the case.)

Christiaan, I have complained about the ability to set class overrides in DLVPs. This now makes it more complicated to use classes to sort the visibility of objects in design layers. As you point out, this is an inconsistency in light of the philosophy that design layers are for design, sheet layers are for output.

I understand the occasional need to have text in a design layer to make notes, etc. But why does it need to be through the vehicle of annotations? You can put the notes right in the layer. The reason for annotation space in a regular Sheet Layer VP is so that you can have VP's with different scales on the sheet and easily control scaling issues by having things "belong" to each VP's annotation space.

I would never use a DLVP to bring something into a design layer at a different scale, and I can't imagine the need to do such a thing. I think this is the reasoning behind not having a separate annotation space for the DLVP.

I know you're thinking, "well, if it's a type of viewport, WHY NOT have annotations?" I think the answer there is that DLVPs might be based on different technology - my understanding is that they are an adaptation of layer links. Just a guess on my part, maybe Katie could confirm that.

Pete, my suggestion of DLVP Annotations is to avoid having to make a group. Say we're doing some bathroom plans which are DLVPs from our 1:50s. We maybe want to add a object or two, plus say some elevation references and maybe a note or two.

Now we may want to move these plans around the page a little. We've got two choices: select all objects using a marquee or make them into a group. But if you make them into a group then you're required to double click into the group before you can configure the DLVP.

So my suggestion was to add Annotations to the DLVP so we don't have to use groups.