How many of you use auto-classing?

I'm new to VW and am in the process of setting up an office standard layering/classing scheme. One option involves the creation of additional classes for existing work but this would not allow me to use auto-classing. The auto-classing feature seems pretty useful to me (with the one exception that it must be at least temporarily disabled to allow for demolition items) so I'm a little bit concerned that I'll be "missing out" on this feature.

So, how many of you use auto-classing? Why or why not? If you're not using it, do you wish that you could? Are there any tricks to using it with demolition items or with separate layers for existing and new work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

what's auto-classing?

The way you describe it, it's like VW will choose the class instead of the user. And that's not a good thing. So could you explain more to me what you are saying?

I use a lot of classes and I set everything that way that it automaticly goes in the class it belongs, be it with a symbol or with a script. Is that what you mean?

As far as I know auto-classing is just using a default class embedded in Plug-in Objects (PIOs) and Symbols. We don't use PIOs much (they're not useful for UK drawings by and large), but we usually embed a class into the symbols we make (go to Options in the Create Symbol dialog and use the Assign To Custom Class setting).

If you use a standard set of classes in your office (we use a modified version of Uniclass) then this makes it worthwhile.

I do not know if this is what you mean.

I have a template file in the Templates Folder with just None Class and Dimension Class. As I normally draw at 1 to 100 the Document Settings are set to that as are my other VW Prferences.

In the Standards Folder I have another file which has all of the Classes, Layers, Sheets etc etc I normally use.

Here also live all of the supplied VW ones so you can choose what you like - generally I use my own.

When I begin a new drawing I start with File New and choose my template file and as I draw and need a new Class I get it - assuming it is there from my Standards Drawing. In the Navigation Pallette I right click and in Classes, Layers, Sheets or whatever and select New - the second radio button Import Class, Layer whatever depending where you are references back to the drawing in the Standards Folder allowing you to select the Class, Layer, Sheet - again whatever and use that in your Current File.

That drawing I add to if I think I will use that Class, Layer, Sheet in the future

I do not know if this is what you mean.

I have a template file in the Templates Folder with just None Class and Dimension Class. As I normally draw at 1 to 100 the Document Settings are set to that as are my other VW Prferences.

In the Standards Folder I have another file which has all of the Classes, Layers, Sheets etc etc I normally use.

Here also live all of the supplied VW ones so you can choose what you like - generally I use my own.

When I begin a new drawing I start with File New and choose my template file and as I draw and need a new Class I get it - assuming it is there from my Standards Drawing. In the Navigation Pallette I right click and in Classes, Layers, Sheets or whatever and select New - the second radio button Import Class, Layer whatever depending where you are references back to the drawing in the Standards Folder allowing you to select the Class, Layer, Sheet - again whatever and use that in your Current File.

That drawing I add to if I think I will use that Class, Layer, Sheet in the future

you can also import all classes and when finished your drawing, use the command purge on the classes.

Auto-classing is found under File>Document Settings>Standard Naming>Enable Auto-classing (check-box).

Here is how VW help describes auto-classing: "Certain plug-in objects and symbols have specific default classes, which coordinate with the Layermap worksheet class name standards. The plug-in objects listed here are automatically classed when inserted into a file set up to use auto-classing (when Enable Auto-classing is selected in the Standard Naming dialog box); they are set to default class when inserted if the file has not been set up."

DWorks, great question - what the heck is a default class? Is it the same as the active class?

If I place a window PIO with Auto-classing on, it is placed on the Window-Main class. If I turn Auto-classing off and set my active class to None, the window is placed on the None class.

Can someone out there explain what a "default" class is? I'm still a newbie with VW so I really don't know.

Each plug-in object has a default class. If the default class is not set, it will be put in the active class. If it is set, it will be put in that class.

You can change this in Organise>vectorscript modules>create>

then choose the plug-in you want and go to preferences. here you will be able to set the default class. This is one way to automaticly put things in certain classes.

Thanks DW. I did not know that I could do that (set default class for PIO.)

I think that VW must have created Auto-classing (in NA version) to accommodate varying Naming Standards - default class only allows one class to be set while Auto-classing refers to a map that changes based on Naming Standard in use.

The more that I dig into this Auto-classing thing the less I think I'll miss it if I decide not to use it. It only applies to certain objects and it conflicts with demolition.

I wonder why PIOs don't work more like walls anyway. The "default" class for a wall changes with Naming Standards and I can move walls to another class without having to disable Auto-classing.

Thanks for all your help.